Main Menu

Gevo shopping

Started by Badhorse79, April 30, 2012, 10:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

Well so far I've seen a lot of Buy it Nows on Ebay at really good prices so im definitely getting one.  So I see the Cab Door needs flipped the head light almost covered that helps! The rear head lights ( not much of a big deal ) are horizontal now ... then the updated Sinclair covers I think its going to be ok .... Now, the hardest thing that is going to be a pain is .... Which Heritage loco should I Do! 

MP15NUT

your also going to need to re-wire the ditch lights to get them to flash back and forth, the decoder is messed up per IM. 
MP15NUT
Modeling the NS Delmarva Secondary as the Delmarva Central

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!
Just search Delmarva Central!

Badhorse79

Yeah 7608 was a day late getting herefor that reason .....My Buds at DCCtrain cincinnati tried to call them and there "going to send me a diagram " we'll see

ARandall70

The way IM wired up the lights on the GEVO makes me want to pull my hair out! The lighted numberboards are cool, but I'd much rather have that function for the other ditch light so they can alternate.

I have got the speed and sound set up the way I like, maybe soon I'll look into re-wiring those lights. At least they are bright, I heard that was a complaint from the first run ES44AC's in UP, CP, BNSF, FXE...

The soundtraxx setup on the NS M-2's is far superior, same decoder, same number of functions, but much better function layout. Sure, the long hood ditch lights do not alternate, but that's the trade off I'm willing to make for prototypical operation on the front end, which is more often leading. I've been able to set everything up the way I like(no directional lighting, all independent functions). Now if Athearn would get over their dim bulbs! At least none of mine have burned out.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

ARandall70

Good luck on the project. Right now I'm just waiting to see what the market offers. IM has the capability to modify their shell to the correct style of the heritage units, and Athearn is still sitting on the T55 tooling, whether or not they can modify it is to be determined.

But any manufacturer releasing these in the wrong phase/body style would be a flop at best, the N-scale guys already have a correct model in the pipe, I think through Fox Valley Models.
Anthony Randall
Fuquay-Varina, NC
www.youtube.com/user/ARandall70

NSMoWandS

MP15NUT

Quote from: ARandall70 on May 01, 2012, 12:42:30 PM
Good luck on the project. Right now I'm just waiting to see what the market offers. IM has the capability to modify their shell to the correct style of the heritage units, and Athearn is still sitting on the T55 tooling, whether or not they can modify it is to be determined.

But any manufacturer releasing these in the wrong phase/body style would be a flop at best, the N-scale guys already have a correct model in the pipe, I think through Fox Valley Models.

What you could do, and what i am having a friend do with a CN SD40-2 is to make each ditch light a separate  function and to wire the number boards to the head lights. 
MP15NUT
Modeling the NS Delmarva Secondary as the Delmarva Central

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!
Just search Delmarva Central!

Badhorse79

Welp... I got one ... $83. On ebay... its A weathered KCS . Sorry KCS fans that belle will be painted!  I feel kinda bad I basically stole the loco.  I just hope its not all grimlined up or anything.  But be looking for a post on it to come ... And Ron well we will have to wait on the interstate Gevo painting the under carriage silver may be a lil harder than I want ... I lost out in the BNSF one

thpbears

Looks like you got one of those good deals I was speaking of the other day Badhorse. I saw the Heritage units in N scale on Ebay. I guess they will come out in HO before long. Can't wait to see how it turns out once you start on it.

NSMoWandS

If you start with a BNSF Gevo... the underside would already be silver. And, NS used BNSF orange & UP armour grey for the Interstate unit... so I would start with those for the paint. Just FYI.

Badhorse79

Right on but I lost that bid .... the Interstate is 1 of the 2 Gevo's the other one will be either NKP for the my love of 765 and crew!  Or the Blue Duece ( N&W ) I haven't figured that out tet

NSMoWandS

I am doing the NYC SD70ACe for my dad... when it gets out... But, I do not think NS will let these units off their system... so, it will not be realistic for it to be on my CSX(yes , I know... haha!) layout.

Badhorse79

NSMoWandS

Badhorse79

Yeah!  So nice I don't wanna paint it ..... hahaha yeah right.  But the one thing I didn't notice which I couldn't see due to the fact the seller took the photo a lil far away was ..... the damn cabs 3 widows.  Its ok its ok its ok ... I keep telling myself that but its a big difference ( to me ) maybe ill just let it go?  I don't know though im pondering changing it!  There's alot more differences but those can be dealt with ... so with that said im off to highball graphics to order what little parts ill need ... ill keep updates

NSMoWandS

Does the whole cab come off? If so, maybe it would be better to see if you could get one with headlights up top and the door on the correct side. (is the door correct?) I only ask because I think you said it was on the wrong side.

Badhorse79

No un fortunately the cab is one with the battery boxes ... and the door is on the opposite side I was hoping a smooth pop of the cab and Kalso cab added on but that ain't looking so promising ... but I haven't really looked at this loco long had to split for softball practice then out to eat.  Hopefully it wont be to big of a pain int @$$

NSMoWandS

When all else fails... razor saw!!!

Badhorse79

Intermountain Handrails, suck brittle as heck I took the Gevo apart and I for one will never do again.! I broke about 75% of the handrails thank you plastruct glue ...

NSMoWandS

I like to remove plastic handrails and replace with brass wire. I do keep the stanchions plastic if I can. That way the stanchions have a little give if I accidently hit one on the handrails(keeps the brass wire from getting a kink in it) Although, now that I think about it... a little bend in the handrail in some places would be prototypical. FYI- if you drill into the stanchions... use .020 drill bits in a hand drill... NOT A POWER DRILL!!!

Badhorse79

Lol yeah that's a great idea! Also I sneezed and broke the. 20 bit.  Once pissed my pops off to! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk