North Carolina Transportation Museum

Started by JCagle, February 18, 2007, 09:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCagle

The North Carolina Transportation Museum  is housed in the former Southern steam repair shops in Spencer, NC. In their hay day the shops were the largest steam repair facility on the East Coast. Now days they are pretty much exclusively diesel in their operating rolling stock, and they have some interesting static displays at the roundhouse.

As I was going through the archives I thought I'd put some of their stuff up from over the last year.

Sou 2601 leads the Caboose Train past Barber Depot at the 150th anniversary celebration of NS in NC

ACL's Challenger gets a break from the roundhouse for Rail Days

Sou 6133 Leads another trip around the site on a Crusie in Saturday when the 1930's NCSHP car was out on display.

Sou 2601 Rolls past the Back Shop

Sou 2601 waits to depart Barber Depot

Sou 2601 passing under the Forsyth Bridge

Sou 6133 Leads the Powhatan Arrow set.

N&W 620 and the RPO car put on a demonstration in the use of a mail pole.

A trio of statics bask in the sunlight outside the roundhouse.

Volunteers cut the flues out of the Graham County Shay

Sou 6133 Passes under the Forsyth Bridge
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

nscnotp1

Jason:

Those are some very nice photos. A classical 10!!!!!

I met up with a fellow NCTM member at Rosemont back in October and I did a rambling on my "Buddy's Ramblings" blogsite from October 2006:

Let me ramble for a moment about a fellow whom I met while railfanning at Rosemont on 10/25. His name is George Weber and he works for the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC. Him and his grandson came out to Rosemont to view a few trains. George's grandson was born prematurely and his hearing is very sensitive to loud noises. I let George in on who owns the CNOTP and also about how many trains a day it runs.

George told me that the NCTM's location is near the NS mainline that runs thru Spencer. He was up visiting his daughter who owns a business next to the CNOTP at Rosemont Garden. While visiting with George we managed to see three trains pass us. They were: NS 229(9326/9939[C40-9W]), NS 375(UP 9662[C44-9W]/NS 8794[C40-8]) and NS 144(6514[SD50]/5101[GP38-2]). He also told me of some of the renovations that is happening there at the NCTM. For more info on the North Carolina Transportation Museum, log onto: http://www.nctm.org.

JCagle

They are doing a lot of facilities repair and upgrading. The only down side is it's not just a rail museum so the funding has to be split with everything else from bikes to airplanes.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

nscnotp1

Jason:

Glad to see that a piece of Southern history is being preserved there in NC. Keep us updated on the progress.

I did add their website to my "Rail-related WebLinks" page on the NSPG site. They are as they say they are "The Museum That Moves You."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk