A winters day on the CNO&TP, Part One 02/17/07

Started by E.M. Bell, February 18, 2007, 05:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

It seems like every trip report I do starts out with a mention of the weather or the forecast..this will be no exception. The weather service had put out a "snow advisory" for Central and Southern KY for Saturday 02/17, and I had though about perhaps going out for the day, but had something planned for that morning. Jacob (JLG) called Friday night to day he was gonna head up our way, so I reworked my plans and decided to make a day of it. Gordon and Junior also decided to go along.  I will be posting this in Two parts for the benefit of the folks on dial up..

Saturday morning dawned cold, and overcast, but pretty much devoid of any snow...the kind of day I would probably just sleep late. Gordon and myself headed South and met up with Jacon around 0800 at Danville (KY) .  There was a scant little snow on the ground at DV. The First train of the day was 116 with a BNSF punkin on the point, seen here pulling out of the East yard.

Two trains off the Louisville District where ready to head around the wye onto the First District, so we moved out to the wye for those. 216 was ready to depart DV as well.

NS 7510 leads train 216 up #2 track at North Wye

Northbound empty steel train 60A eases around the Wye and is about to enter the CNO&TP at North Wye, near Danville kY

NS 26Z, a Toyota Stack train, follows the 60A around the wye near Danville Ky

The K-Line stacks on 26Z brightens the otherwise colorless landscape as 26Z crosses over from #2 to #1 at North Wye. The rear of 60A can be seen on #1 track in the Distance.

We moved back down to the yard for a hour or so, until we had some Southbounds ready to leave. As we got ready to go down on the Second District, train 180 arrived with a solid CR consist..you gotta love that.

A solid Blue consist leads NS 180 through East #6 in the yard at Danville KY

Train 223 has just topped over the hill at Moreland KY, and starts to get a run down the valley.

The rest of the day, including a little snow, can be found in Part 2.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk