A pumpkin, the odd couple and a Canadian in the snow

Started by Matt L, February 06, 2014, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

It was my birthday recently... a perefect excuse to go home to see family and chase trains. Although this winter has been pretty terrible, I managed to catch the action between storms.

Day #1 was spent at CP Cass. Train #1 was NS westbound 310 with a BNSF leader:

Train #2 was NS eastbound 206- a very long intermodal:

Train #3 was NS eastbound 13T, my final sighting for the day:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 1/25/2014 in Hornell, NY at/near the Cass Street crossing.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Day #2 was just cold as its predecessor, but thankfully there no snow falling from the sky. The morning began with the NS yard at Gang Mills. Yard power was a rather strange pairing- a standard cab Dash 9 (rarely seen in NY these days) and a GP38-2.

I also caught eastbound 13T again- this time at Newcomb Road in Rathbone:

All photos in this post were taken by me Sunday 1/26/2014 in Steuben County, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Day #3 started cloudy and around freezing as I headed over to the new B&H engine house in Coopers Plains. S1 #5 and C424m #422 were idling outside. I have been chasing #5 for nearly 38 years.

However, B&H RS18u #416 made the trip to Painted Post for interchange with NS. I caught her idling next to Chemung Street:

After pick-up, the MLW ran solo with her consist- a good testament to a locomotive that wasn't even operating a year ago. The train is headed westbound at Smith Mill Road in Coopers Plains:

After the B&H passed, I headed back to Gang Mills. The odd pairing of Dash 9 and GP38-2 was serving as yard power. I'm guessing they were lashed together because the other GP38-2 was on the service track.

Eastbound 13T had arrived at Gang Mills shortly before my return, and it had a former UP EMD in the power mix.

All photos in this post were taken by me Monday 1/27/2014 in Steuben County, NY. As always, a big thanks goes out to the employees of the Bath & Hammondsport RR for their friendliness and professionalism. Regardless of the cold weather, it was a fun romp through my old stomping grounds, and I hope y'all have enjoyed it, too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk