A surprise Heritage on the CNO&TP

Started by Gage O'Dell, August 09, 2013, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gage O'Dell

After missing the Pennsylvania unit, I decided just to head south to see what I could manage out of a cloudy, rainy day. After the northbound South Fork signals showed a train in the near future, I set up for a shot around one of the tight curves.

An impromptu Heritage Photo. NS 55A with the Reading 1067 leading, rounds the corner in South Fork

Next up, NS 55A crosses over the massive High Bridge

After waiting for the track to clear in front, NS 55A gets back underway as it throttles up under the searchlights in Wilmore

And for an extra goodie on the day, NS 224 slowly makes it way through Geneva with a SD60E leading

E.M. Bell

You go and steal my High Bridge shot....really man...really????   ;D

All kidding aside, great job!  It figures that the one week I am tied up at work and cant get out like I usually can, all of that happens. You have really had the luck recently..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

E.M. Bell

Just go back into Highbridge Park. Between the little gazebo and the big pavilion, there is a path that goes out onto the edge of the cliff...and be careful, its about 250 feet straight down at that point!

With all the money the county has spent to fix that place up in the past few years (no sarcasm there, it really is a nice little park), you would think they would actually open up a couple of good views of the bridge, but during the summer when the foliage is thick, forget about it (except for the edge of that cliff)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Gage O'Dell

Here is the caboose they've been working on at the park for the last 2 or 3 years. It used to be in Chessie paint I believe. Then they primed it in maroon paint. When I drove up to High Bridge on the day I caught the Reading, they had painted it red. It's either going to be a Southern Caboose or a High Bridge Park one. I'm not totally sure on that part.

Ponce de Leon

High Bridge is just impossible to shoot unless you have a helicopter. Those high sides hide the undercarriage (a.k.a. trucks), so it's less than optimum. And, if you shoot a train coming straight across the bridge, you get no sense of the size of the structure, at least in context.

So....rent a helicopter, check the line up, and get in position when you think the train is near.
Ron Flanary

chipallen16

I shot from the cliff when I went. Let's just say I was EXTREMELY careful in getting down there...

-Chip  :)

Gage O'Dell

There's two or three parking lots when you're there. Where I shot this was by the first parking lot when you first drive in. There's a gazebo right there, and just off to the side there's a rock ledge. It's about a foot or so from the grass to the rock ledge. You can fit upwards of 2-3 people there. It's a far better location than the overlook area in my opinion. In the picture, where the pin is located is where I was at. You can sort of see the rock ledge near the gazebo. A great location if you can't afford a helicopter :)

NSMoWandS

Quote from: trainchaser2 on August 27, 2013, 08:57:36 PM
Here is the caboose they've been working on at the park for the last 2 or 3 years. It used to be in Chessie paint I believe. Then they primed it in maroon paint. When I drove up to High Bridge on the day I caught the Reading, they had painted it red. It's either going to be a Southern Caboose or a High Bridge Park one. I'm not totally sure on that part.

Yes, it was a former Chessie Caboose. And rumor mill puts it as becoming a Southern. FWIW. DE Dan

Ed Fury

Get your own drone and a GoPro camera like that guy over in Indiana. I forget his "handle" on flickr. He posts some great stuff using that equipment. Has to be cheaper then renting a helicopter for a day.

Nevermind I found it. Here's his flickr. Santini52 is the name...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tri-state_trains/

And now everyone knows a new way to shoot at high bridge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk