Main Menu

Removing decals

Started by thpbears, January 30, 2014, 11:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thpbears

I know its been on here but I must be overlooking it. What is a good way to remove factory decals from a hopper before painting?

NSMoWandS

Quote from: thpbears on January 30, 2014, 11:07:25 AM
I know its been on here but I must be overlooking it. What is a good way to remove factory decals from a hopper before painting?

Bears, are you asking about factory applied "decals" or factory "lettering" that is painted? DE Dan

thpbears

Both I guess you could say. Its on a Bachman Silver series three bay coal hopper. I am going to attempt the pier 6 hopper once I get the factory letters off.

NSMoWandS

Couple things you can try... 1) Isopropyl Alcohol... prob a high % amount like 90-95%. For stubborn paint... I use Pine-Sol... but, use small amount and test an area first... as it can eat the plastic.... so, do not let it sit on the model for a long time. For decals... try a decal setting solution... let it sit and use a pencil eraser to remove. Hope this helps. DE Dan

thpbears

I will be trying it tonight. Thanks Dan.
David

thpbears

Well a pencil eraser works better than a plain ole eraser I could actually put more force to the decal after applying the solvset. They came right off. Letting dry from a nice washing. Plan on masking and paiting tomorrow. So far so good.

NSMoWandS

Quote from: thpbears on January 30, 2014, 07:30:42 PM
Well a pencil eraser works better than a plain ole eraser I could actually put more force to the decal after applying the solvset. They came right off. Letting dry from a nice washing. Plan on masking and paiting tomorrow. So far so good.
Good deal! DE Dan

NSTopHat

Quote from: thpbears on January 30, 2014, 03:21:36 PM
Both I guess you could say. Its on a Bachman Silver series three bay coal hopper. I am going to attempt the pier 6 hopper once I get the factory letters off.

Use 91% Iso Alcohol. I have stripped three dozen of these cars with this method. Age of Iso and whether it has been opened will determine how long it takes.

Regards,
Russ

thpbears

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk