DifferanceAthearn Heritage 4400 and Intermountain ES44s

Started by thpbears, August 24, 2012, 08:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thpbears

So what is the body differance on the 4400  than Intermountain Heritage units. I saw Internet Hobbies have the 4400 for $ 113. Any suggestions on either ? I have reseved a SD70 Heritage unit from Athearn Genesis but they are pretty detailed compared to my other Genesis engines.

Badhorse79

Are ya meaning the AC4400 athearn heritage locos? If so the biggest difference is the radiator section and engine doors. When I built 7655 I used a AC44 to start... everything behind the Cab and dynamic break section was removed !  Also the Cab has 4 side windows kalso makes replacement cabs if ya wanna spend $20-$30 for one ! Hope this helps? 

NSMoWandS

Ok, where to start? The 4400's have a different radiator set up... The Gevo's rads have an air to air cooler built into it. The nose door might be on the wrong side too... depending on when the 4400 was built. GE always seems to flip sides back and forth... other than that... not much... the Dash 9's did not have the giant invertor box behind the cab on the conductors side... where the Gevo's(DC) have the big invertor box like the 4400's and AC Gevo's... although I do not know if anything is in it... more a standardization for GE. Hope this helps... Dan
ADD-ON- Now the windows are 4 Badhorse... but, then... you could still order cab windows however you want... CSX ES40DC's have 3 windows... so did their first ES44AC's... now they have 4! FYI

thpbears

Thanks I was looking at the differance of the Athearn vs the Intermountain Heritage units. I know the Athearn Genises units are pretty well detailed buy I did not know how the Intermountain will be against the Athearn RTR engines.

NSMoWandS

I have 3 Athearn AC4400's. All CSX. Two have hi-ad trucks, one has radial trucks. The first two I bought years ago when the first run came out. They are pretty good... the only oversight was only two exhaust vents on the conductor's side instead of three. The last 4400 has three vents. This leads me to believe that Athearn used their Dash 9 shell and just added an invertor box. No big deal... I am thinking one day I will add or paint another vent in place. However, I also noticed that the Dash 9 vents are next to each other where as on the ES40DC's I have seen... they are spaced apart. Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk