Trip on SEPTA from Landsdale to Philly today

Started by dschlegel, April 25, 2013, 07:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschlegel

I had an opportunity to attend a trade show in Philadelphia today for work, and convinced a couple of my coworkers to take the train.
Here's a couple of shots from early this morning in Landsdale, PA of some Pennsylvania Northeastern power and a SEPTA MofW train.

dschlegel

Before the train left Landsdale I happened to see my friend Dave Augsberger who is not only funny but is also an outstanding photographer. I should have grabbed a shot of him because it always amazes me how he just happens to show up at all sorts of places unexpectedly but it was too late for me to take one.

Anyway, the trade show was in the PA Convention Center which was once the Reading Railroad's Reading Terminal. Here's a shot looking north into what was once the train shed.

dschlegel

After several hours of walking the floor, we rode the escalator from the convention hall down to Market St East Station which replaced Reading Terminal around 1984. We caught the 2:52 back to Landsdale where I found the lighting to be better for the SEPTA train and the PN power.
Enjoy!
Dan Schlegel

dschlegel

Oh and for those who are Big Bang Theory fans and who saw the episode where Sheldon demanded the guys take the train, I can honestly say I did not forget my flash drive:)
Here's me in the Market St East Station.

NSMoWandS

Nice! I was up that way last year and saw the C39-8. I like the DRG&W inspired paint! Other Dan.

dschlegel

Thanks Dan! The train was definitely the way to go for this trip. We carpooled from Allentown to Landsdale and were walking into the convention center right at about 2 hours after we left. Other folks we know drove into the city and their journeys were closer to the 3 hour mark leaving from right between Allentown and Quakertown, PA.

NSMoWandS

That's too funny. In that episode(BBT) he was actually giving real info about the Coast Starlight! It seems someone on that show is a fan of trains! And, during the summer, I take Septa(with my mountain bike) up to Philly(30th Street) and then go biking in Fairmount Park. You can bike right down to CP RIVER where NS's Harrisburg Line meets CSX's Trenton Line. Always some good action! Other Dan.

dschlegel

Yeah, I loved that episode, especially when he ranted about the classic Pullman built Superliner parlor car or whatever he described and how they shouldn't sit right over the wheels because of the ride quality.

Fair mount park is beautiful, if I lived closer to a Septa station I'd probably do the same. When I lived in Bethlehem I would ride the canal towpath from CP JU to CP Allen and back every night in the summer, which was almost 10 miles round trip. Now I walk the streets of Topton every night, which is just as interesting in my book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk