High and wide train #981 question

Started by Brian Morgan, January 26, 2006, 07:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Morgan

Guys,

I'm sure many of you on this list remember the #981 high-and-wide movements that NS used to run down the Rathole several years ago.  Do any of you guys remember where most of these movements originated?  Was it Princeton, IN?  Does anyone know where most of these shipments went?  A lot of this high-and-wide traffic is moved south on manifest #347 now.

Thanks for any help with this guys,

Brian Morgan

NS Dispatcher

981 started in Decatur, Il and went thru Princeton towards either Knoxville or Chattanooga. I cant remember if it was Knox or Chatt because its been too long. It ran once a week and now the same traffic can come daily out of Decatur to Granite City. At Granite City it makes the head end of 283 to Louisville, Ky. Louisville will set it out and then I believe goes to 167.

E.M. Bell

Most of that high wide stuff does go East of Louisville on the head of 167, but I have seen 283 a time or two with a few loads...kinda funny looking on the head end of a rack train. I always figured they did that if 161 got out before 283 got to Louisville. A good majority of that traffic (mostly CAT equipment, dozers, dump trucks ect) went on South of Chatt down to Nawlins for a boat ride overseas..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk