Playing with a new lens on New Years Eve

Started by CarmonH, January 01, 2011, 06:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarmonH

After waiting almost a week, EB and myself got out for a bit on New Years Eve, which gave me the chance to try out my new lens I got for Christmas. EB gave me a Canon  f/4 55-250 IS lens, and it seems to do a pretty god job. The focus was quick and tack sharp, and now we wont be fighting over glass! 

I added 4 new shots taken with it to the Pbase gallery..  the first 4 on top. 

http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/railroad_2010

VirginiaSouthern

Nice, sharp shots Carmon.  I think the new lens is definitely going to work out well for you.
Tommy Warshaw
Click here to see my photos on Flickr

Ed Fury

That first one looks like you are standing on the rail about to get run over. Do you have a shot from that angle without the zoom to see the difference in distance? Guess I better check your pbase...

Looking forward to seeing more great shots from your new lens.

E.M. Bell

Ed, was was trying to find a shot like you requested, and this is about the best I could come with that didnt have SOME tele in it, and even this one does a little.

That location is the "dump crossing" at East Waddy...she was not standing on the tracks at all..even had a nice closed gate between her the mainline..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ed Fury

I was just curious as to the power of the zoom on the lens. I saw that it was shot at 250mm. Just was wondering how far away it actually was. I have wanted to try a similar shot but never had a zoom powerful enough. I know you guys stay safe and railfan responsibly. Just trying to learn angles and such so I can apply them to my own shooting situations. Always trying to learn something new.

The overpass in the background of those photos, can you shoot from that location too?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk