Work train on the Cooper Steam plant lead, for Butch..

Started by E.M. Bell, November 11, 2010, 07:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Butch posted a pic a week or two ago of a NS work train tied up on the old Copper Steam plant (Powerplant) lead at Grove, KY, just South of Somerset. I told him I had a couple of shots of a similar move from a good while back, and I would try to find them...and I found them.. This is probably one of the rarest places on the CNO&TP to see a train movement,or even something just tied down..I have NO idea when the last time the plant got coal by rail (they use barges now) or even why the track is still in place..

A NS SD40-2 with a string of work train flats that had been stored on the spur, as seen back in 2001

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

I don't know about using barges, but the coal trucks were lined up that weekend.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

E.M. Bell

I have seen what looked to be barges tied up by the plant near those "big round, metal looking thingies" in the lake before, from up at the Burnside overlook, but that was years ago...and now that I think about it, I reckon it would be about imposable to do that there anyway..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

These are my favorite kinda moves, love seeing seldom used, heavy rusted rail getting some rare action. Kinda like the old lawreneville branch, or Anderson supply back home, only saw them spot cars in there maybe twice. Neat stuff.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk