Weekend Photos - Feb 20 & 21

Started by ssmith1627, February 21, 2010, 11:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssmith1627

Was good seeing some of you guys out at Coffee's Cliff in Chattanooga this morning !

I ran around a lot over the weekend.  Learning a new camera -- finally in the SLR world -- and exploring some places I hadn't been before.  CSX from Tullahoma down to Stevenson, AL.   West along the NS Memphis District to Decatur and then north along CSX back to Nashville. 

I wouldn't say I got anything spectacular but here are a few.  It's funny how sometimes your best shot isn't in any fancy location. 

http://picasaweb.google.com/ssmith1627/Recent#

I still have a LOT to learn.

Steve

Ns Railfan

Wow your pics are getting better and better, ;)

ssmith1627

Hey thanks.  I appreciate that.  It's still a random thing.  I take a ton and a few look almost intentional.  haha

Lighting seems to be everything.  Some locations just don't seem worth it.  I drove down to Stevenson AL over the weekend.  Beautiful depot and old hotel.  But the tracks are on the north side.  So to take pics with the depot a the backdrop you're on the shady side of the train.  Seems like a great spot but really isn't.

I'll keep exploring.  Definitely addicted to the hobby.  But a lot left to learn.

Steve

JCagle

Lighting is the key to getting good shots. Some places do seem like they would make a good shot until you see that the light isn't right. Sometimes you can hit a time of day when the light is at least somewhat serviceable. Don't rule those spots out totally because you can play with the angles on am East/West line and get them to cooperate some times. You might not be able to get a broad on shot but a head on shot will work if things are right. It just takes practice and a little bit of knowledge of how the sun moves in the sky. Keep it up I can definitely see improvement in your shots!
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

ssmith1627

I enjoy astronomy as well.  So have learned quite a bit about how things move in the sky.  It's a lot to think about.  Sun / time of day.  Location.  What's the "backdrop" in the shot -- something worth shooting or not really ?  I'm learning how to use the camera enough to get a focused shot.  But shot composition is an art form.  I find some good ones more by accident than on purpose.  At least I'm learning what I don't like.  Clutter bothers me -- powerlines and all that.  But I like the elevation shots -- seems more dramatic.  Learning the photo editing software is another challenge.

I still say I'm more of a picture taker than a photographer.  But this is a great hobby and certainly takes one's mind off work and stress !

Appreciate the feedback.

Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk