Snowy Saturday on the Rathole

Started by butch, January 10, 2010, 06:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

I had made plans with Brent Harrison several weeks ago to show him the Burnside to Wiborg section of the old CNO&TP Rathole, so we didn't let a snowy day in the teens deter us.  It wasn't a great day for pictures, but the trains just kept coming so we had fun.  Check it out... http://home.insightbb.com/~heyref/Jan9.htm
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

nsgelocos

Awesome photos. I hoping you would have got a photo of the north portal of # 11 as I have not seen a photograph of that tunnel yet.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

butch

Thanks.  As for the north portal of Tunnel 11, it is somewhere under US 27.  From what I understand, the last time they widened the highway, they demo'ed the north end.  Here is the south end from last winter-didn't get to it Saturday; and maybe 100 ft inside the tunnel ends.
Butch Adkins

nsgelocos

It's quite a shame #11 and 18 are pretty much inaccessible and # 27 caved. I have that feeling 19 is fixing to go the same way the bulged wall (not to mention a small section of the west wall has fell out exposing a hole in the bare rock).

These photos make me want to go back out and start filming again. Regretfully, our last film trip at Oakdale went down the tube when we were confronted by a higher-up working for NS. I have been kinda discouraged from filming since that encounter. 
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

E.M. Bell

Butch, we started to come on further South, but the snow started to thin out around Palm so we stuck to the North end of the district.  Looks like it was pretty decent down that way though...same trains, different snow  :) 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Thought about giving you a call to see if you wanted to hike from Alpine down the the 7-8-9 tunnels.
Butch Adkins

E.M. Bell

With the shape my right knee is is, I really doubt I will be making that trip any time soon.  Next time you and Brent want to head out let me know and Carm and myself might join you.  I am kicking myself now for not going further south.. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk