'Peak' Fall color on the CNO&TP

Started by E.M. Bell, October 21, 2007, 07:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Local sources have been saying that we are in the 'peak' of the colors here in Central and Southern Ky. Compared to last year, this is really lackluster. MONTHS of no rain and higher than normal temps have pretty much screwed fall up in a big way, atleast around here.

After I had my plans for today fall apart, I decided to head out on the CNO&TP South of Danville to see what I could catch. There was color, but it was weak. The brightest thing I saw all day was a BNSF punkin..  Prepare yourself for a GE orgy...for what its worth, the pics... A couple of these almost make up for not getting any shots of those AW&W SD9's the other day. I am still ticked about that...not even a good series of poorly lit roster shots :)

Southbound Grain train Y2A creeps around at DV tower (North end of the Danville KY yard)

Train M77 rolls South in the morning sun at Bowen KY

After getting smoked by M77, Y2A gets em moving at Bowen.

I followed the Y2A South a bit. Here he is getting a run for the hill at Southfork KY.

Three Big GE's and the train is still down to a snails pace as Y2A tops over at Kings Mountain KY

I took a little hike at Kings Mountain, got out the big glass and got a 143 as they ground up the hill.

A quick lens change and here is 143 again as they top over and take #2 track  at the Mountain. That Punkin was about the most colorful thing seen today..

More action from the trusty 400mm. 283 rides the roller coaster through Gradison KY

215 at Waynesburg KY

A pair of Fish lead 223 over the Green River Bridge at South Fork KY

The dynamics are humming as 124 comes off the hill, seen here at the Green River Dip near Geneva KY.

The last train of the afternoon. 175 starts through the Green River dip after meeting 124

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

E.M. Bell

I must be slipping...the ONE train today that had a EMD leader, and I forgot to post it..

NS 111 in the Valley near South Fork KY. A SD70 leading a bunch of dead GE's....

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

cjr9703

Nice collection, but most of those trees look pretty green to me...  :P ...my bet is you may have another good weekend or two of color left in those trees down your way.  

Up in central Ohio things are pretty vivid, but I just don't have the time nor the gas money anymore to drive all over the state scoping out photo locations like I used to.  In town, it seems the most colorful trees are located in residential neighborhoods anyway.  All the trees near right of ways never seem to turn those great reds and yellows.  Most seem to go from green to an ugly sort of brown.  

As far as the weather agreeing; naturally this weekend was beautiful.  Who knows what's in store next weekend...probably rain... It sure seems that the window of opportunity gets smaller and smaller as we age...
Chuck

J-man

Nice pictures Emmett. Gosh I can't wait to get back out there on the 2nd district.
God Bless America!
NS Conductor, CNO&TP
A few pictures

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk