"Lets go somewhere different"

Started by E.M. Bell, January 21, 2007, 06:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

"Lets go somewhere different", Junior said that, so we did. We had been wanting to get out for a roadtrip for a couple of weeks..JR wanted to get the new truck and new camera out, and the rest of us just needed a day away.  As usual, the plan making was left to me, so plan I did. After talking to ns boxca and Jacob (JLG), I decided that a trip to Knoxville would be in order. CSX was supposed to have been running reroutes over the KD sub, and NS is "usually" busy down there, so it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I was up at 0430, and JR, Gordon and myself  where on the road a little after 0500. We met up with Jacob at Lake City TN about the time CSX seemed to be ready to run a couple of Southbounds. After a quick bite at the Golden Arch Breakfast club, we catch a CSX Q541 at Lake City. (NS content to follow)  Thats the NS C line at the bottom.

Shortly after passing us, Q541 loses his air and stops, allowing us to get him again just South of Lake City. A EMD leading in the first two shots of the day (even it was on that other RR) must be a good sign.

We had heard a Southbound CSX coal train following the Q141. Jacob found us a GREAT shot..a tunnel near Solaway TN, just South of the TVA Bull Run plant. Good location, perfect light.....but....  What we didnt know was the coal train was GOING to the Bull Run plant, and never even got close to us. The heck with CSX, it was time for some NS.

We headed over towards the NS K&O distirct, as we had heard a Knoxville Bound train headed our way. We get to the little town of Powel just ahead of him, but I cant find a shot anywhere. We watch as a SD70M flys by, the camera never gets used. Strike Two..

We head on into downtown Knoxville, and managed to catch lite power from train 44E on the West end, near the CSX diamond. Thats Jacob up on the ped bridge.  Third shot of the day, Three EMD leaders..

After a brief spin around the yard, A Westbound 15T was getting ready to depart for Chatt. We shoot him near West Sevier in Knoxville .

After meeting up, we head back towards the NS yard, and things are DEAD. We go East to mascot but the Bristol line will not run a thing. After over a hour of  waiting , we hear the NS T12 Clinton local getting ready to head out the K&O. He has a CEFX Bluebird SD40-2 leading, so the rest of the day will be spent shooting him.  The first shot is at West Sevier, where the K&O leaves the West end district at John Sevier Yard.

T12 heads towards Clinton, and so do we. The DS tells him he will be meeting a 167 at Powel, so jacob guides us into a spot about halfway up the ruling grade on the K&O at Chestnut Ridge TN. Thanks to Shack and Sean for a little PS help with this shot.

By now, the clouds are getting thick, so we plan on one more stop for the day. The K&O crosses over the Clinch River  just outside Clinton.  T12 will be setting out his entire train at East Siding, so we hike into the bridge for a few shots.

We didnt shoot a lot of trains, but it was great to meet up with Jacob. After a good round of Double Cheeseburgers and Chili Cheese Fries at Krystals, it was Northbound to home.. Shack got to really test the new Ford on the way... :P

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Junior

from left to right:(obejcts in reflection may appear to be larger than they are)
Junior, Gordon, Paul, Jacob, Emmett

It was nice to meet some other JREB.org members.  Thanks for the guided tour of the area.

Junior

nscnotp1

Great looking set of shots guys.
And a great looking set of dudes, don't forget the manifest in the background. ;)

E.M. Bell

good lord, I need a haircut. Thats some fro I got going..is there a barber in the house?

Looking forward to seeing everyone elses photos from the day....
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nscnotp1

I'll bring the Sunbeam electric "hummer" shaver over and give you a freebie. ;)

Batman

i cant believe that the sun was out ,   man it was yucko here today with lots`o rain.

JCagle

Wow EMB has ridden in 2 Fords in less than 12 months! Be glad you made the trip yesterday, as the weather has been bad over the mountains and here today.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

E.M. Bell

Quote from: nsrayman on January 21, 2007, 09:27:07 PM

i cant believe that the sun was out ,   man it was yucko here today with lots`o rain.

The weather was cold but clear most of the day yesterday..in fact, the sun was the problem. We would find a train, and it would be coming out of the sun. When we finally got a train going the right way, it clouded up...
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

JCagle

Quote from: E.M. Bell on January 21, 2007, 10:33:07 PM

The weather was cold but clear most of the day yesterday..in fact, the sun was the problem. We would find a train, and it would be coming out of the sun. When we finally got a train going the right way, it clouded up...

I'm glad somebody else has the same luck I do!
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Ns Railfan

I have posted some of my saturday photos in the JREB gallery  :).

Jacob

E.M. Bell

Quote from: jlg on January 22, 2007, 01:45:29 PM
I have posted some of my saturday photos in the JREB gallery  :).

Jacob

Here is the link to JLG's photos...  http://jreb.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3025
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk