Private Varnish on the NS in KY, The 2015 AARPCO Special

Started by E.M. Bell, October 02, 2015, 05:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Tuesday 09/29/15, The 2015 AARPCO special The "Spirit of St. Louis" operated from Cincinnati Ohio to Louisville, KY during its trek to St. Louis for the organizations convention.   This route included the 1st District of the CNO&TP between Cincinnati and CP North Wye near Danville, KY and the West on the Louisville District.

While both of these routes have seen the NS OCS (and steam specials) in years past,  no regular passenger service has operated for decades.  The only other time I can recall shooting Amtrak power around here was the short time NS leased FP40's from Amtrak, and the X-2000 tour...with that in mind, I decided it would be a worth while endeavor to get out and shoot this trip.  Central KY had gone without any significant rain fall (or cloudy days) for almost Two months, but Tuesday dawned cloudy and wet, and that would be the theme for the entire day.  The bad weather was actually a GOOD thing though. If the sun had been out, there would have been almost no way to shoot the train across the Louisville District, as the sun would have been wrong.

Despite the weather (heck..I prefer shooting in the rain to almost anything else) I came away with a few keepers from the day.  Here are a few samples, and you can check out the entire set at this link >>>   http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/2015aaprco

After a quick crew change, 951 gets back on the move at CP North Wye, near Danville KY.  The train will take a hard right turn off the CNO&TP here,and head West on the Louisville District

The rain had let up a bit as the train crosses the bridge at Salvisa, KY.  Our house is just off to the left out of frame..

951 tops over the big hill at Waddy, Ky at one of the few locations I could get the majority of the train in the shot.

The "SuitsMe" carries the markers at Waddy, KY

AMTK 156 leads the train through the pouring rain at Shelbyville, KY

Westbound through the rain and horse farms near Clarks Station, Ky
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

steveiez

Steve

E.M. Bell

No idea on what Amtrak Charges, but its needless to say......its not cheap.  Amtrak also had an engineer with the train as well.... 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk