Southern 4501 break-in run... Back on the mainline after 21 years!

Started by E.M. Bell, May 05, 2015, 09:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

This past Friday, May 1st 2015, Southern 4501 returned to the mainline for the First time in  21 years for a test run from Chattanooga to Cleveland, TN and return.   After a lengthy restoration, the engine returned to steam last year, and operated on TVRM's local and made several trips on the C&C to Summerville, GA, but had not operated anywhere near sustained mainline speeds until Friday .  The TVRM crew needed to make sure the engines bearings and other systems worked as intended before a few public trips on the NS later this year, and from what we saw and heard, there were no major issues!

Tyler, John Owens and myself left home at 0400 Friday morning to make the 300 mile trip South to shoot a few frames and take in the sights and sounds of the "Ought One" back on the mainline.  Now, it may seem silly to some to spend all day driving a 600 mile round trip for a steam locomotive, but 4501 is my personal favorite, and there was NO way I was gonna miss it!   The run to Cleveland and back took less than Two hours, and the train moved right along at track speed most of the time, with only One inspection stop.  The folks at TVRM seem to have turned out a engine ready to get out and run this year....and I cant wait! 

Friday was just the First of Three days we spent on the road, with Saturday and Sunday spent pursuing the NS, CSX and RJC Derby trains plus some other good stuff, and I will share that later on, but for now here is the 4501 back on the mainline..

You can find the entire set at this link  >>>>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/2015steam

"Impatient" Southern 4501 sits at the Grand Junction Depot early Friday morning, watching the NS money makers roll by and growing impatient waiting for her chance to step out on the mainline and let the world know she was back...and with a vengeance. Soon she would be romping towards Cleveland, TN at 40mph and leaving a lot of folks with a big smile.

"21 Years" Sometimes its worth getting up early and driving 300 miles before daylight to witness something special, and this past Friday was One of those days. After a brief inspection stop during her break in run at Ooltewah, Tennessee, Southern 4501 makes a jaw dropping departure towards Cleveland...Two shorts blast on the whistle, then an eruption of smoke and sound from the stack as she walked those 7 cars right up to 40mph...and before she was ever out of sight! Its been 21 years since the best looking steam locomotive I have ever seen has graced the mainline, and THIS was worth that 600 mile round trip! Welcome back old friend

Almost to they wye at Cleveland, TN

4501 sprints back to Chattanooga at track speed after a quick turnaround at Cleavland, TN
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

leroy

Great pictures E. M. .... Ya are right; some things are worth seein first hand... I love the old mikados and consolidations... They are worth takin the time ta see...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
leroy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk