What I did on my summer vacation Day #1

Started by Matt L, September 05, 2014, 09:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

I had an interesting summer vacation this year. Quite a bit of it was spent tracksdie, although I did visit my family, too. There are alot of pictures (which may even rival Emmett's summer cache in size), so I will share them in batches as time permits.

Day #1 started around 9 AM with the Wellsboro & Corning RR (a freight hauling operation) and its affiliate th Tioga Central RR (an excursion operation). They are selling their Alcos to the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville RR. This was probably the last time I will ever see RS3u #506 on WCOR property. She is a former D&H unit and still wears her Bicentennial paint job from the 1970s.

With the Alcos departing, parent corporation GWI brought in a Geep from sister shortline B&P to handle switching and local operations. Some of you may remember #886 from my Buffalo pictorials. BTW, she is a former N&W unit!

Here is a slide show of WCOR and TIOC:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2014/Aug%202014/0821%20AM1%20Wellsboro%20Jct

All photos in this post and link were taken by me Thursday 8/21/2014 in Wellsboro Junction, PA.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Norfolk Southern's Southern Tier Mainline was quiet for most of that day because they are working on tie replacement west of Gang Mills. I found them near CP Cam in West Cameron:

After the MOW operations ended around 5PM, traffic began flowing again. This is NS 12T heading eastbound at CP Cass in Hornell:

My day ended by catching westbound NS intermodal 23K at Depot Street in Canisteo shortly before sunset:

All photos in this post were taken by me Thursday 8/21/2014 in Steuben County, NY. I hope to share Day #2 with y'all next week. I would also like to thank the employees of the Wellsboro &Corning RR for their professionalism and courtesy.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

butch

Any trip that needs to be broken up into days is a good trip.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Matt L

Agreed. The next installment will be later this week.

dschlegel

Looks like a great trip! Nice photos!!
PA Dan

Matt L

Thanx! I am awaiting word the departure #506 (the RS3u shown above) and S2 #14 from WCOR/TIOC because they will probably move from Gang Mills to Silver Springs via NS and then north on the Rochester & Southern for interchange to the LA&L. It should be soon. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk