Silent culture shock, Amtrak Keystone service

Started by E.M. Bell, August 03, 2014, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Here is something a little different than what you are used to seeing from me....Part Two of our road trip to the Northeast last week with a little Amtrak action.

One of the things on my list to shoot while in PA was the Amtrak / NS line between Harrisburg and Philadelphia PA, more so the power. With the order of 70 new ACS-64 electric locomotives on the way, the older AEM7's that have been in service are sure to become rare in the next few years.  While I am not all that big of a fan of the electrics, its always good to have a few shots of something in your collection. I have been able to shoot the AEM7's (and even E60s before they were gone) in past years, but I wanted another chance and this was a good time to make that happen. 

Amtrak's line between Harrisburg and Philly is somewhat more accessible than the Northeast Corridor, and the proximity to the Strasburg RR made it easy to bounce back and forth between the Two. With a Amtrak schedule in hand, we were able to time it just right and be able to shoot steam and 15 minutes later grab some shots of those silver bullets just over the hill at Gap and Leaman Place, Pa.   We spent most of Thursday July 24th doing that, and came away with some decent material.

I have to admit that I had some major culture shock.....I am use to shooting freight stuff for the most part..trains that are relatively  slow, very noisy and easy to find. We don't get to see much passenger action here in Kentucky, and these electric powered bullets were something totally different than what I am used to. I think the biggest thing that stood out to me was just how dang QUIET they are....almost no noise at all except for the singing of the rail. It is most unnerving to have have a train sneak up on you at 100 + mph !!  We had hoped to catch one of the NS locals that serve the few customers in the area as well, but that did not happen.

You can find this whole set at think link if you care to look...a lot more than what I am sharing here >>>  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/2014_rail_shorts_

Wed 07/23/14

The first Amtrak we shot was the Eastbound Capitol Limited, a lucky catch while traveling to Harrisburg on Wednesday. . We had stopped in Cumberland, Maryland for lunch and found out this train was running several hours late. After grabbing a quick bite, we headed up the mountain a ways to Hyndman, PA in time to catch them.

Thursday 07/24/14

This was the first Amtrak electric that we shot last week on the Harrisburg to Philly line, and I have to say it was somewhat distressing to see that cab car coming at us at a high rate of speed...we had came to shoot the AEM7's and had no idea they used these things! Amtrak engineers must be a special breed of tough up there...I cant even begin to imagine being cooped up in that tiny little cab with that little window to look out of running a 100+ mph...sounds like riding the pointy end of a bullet to me.  Eastbound at Leaman Place, Pa.

AEM7 # 935 with a Eastbound Keystone train at Gap, Pa

If the Amtrak police dont get ya, the live wire will...sure dont see many signs like this on the CNO&TP

Amtrak 915 heels into the curve at Gap Pa with a Westbound Keystone, and then a going away shot of the cab car on the rear.

The Eastbound Pennsylvanian behind a GE P32-8 (8-32BWH) at Gap, Pa
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

dschlegel

Nice shots! You were under an hour from my neck of the woods on the Reading Line. I hope you enjoyed the trip!
PA Dan

Matt L

Excellent shots! I shoot Amtrak occasionally. Those trains are indeed very quiet- even the Amtrak trains that operate on CSX and NS outside of electric territory don't make much noise. Thankfully, they do blow their horns alot, which helps!
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

NSMoWandS

Gald you had a good time! I built a cab car in HO scale(in the modeller's forum) and PA Dan and I were discussing their use on the Keystone Corridor. If you noticed... the first cab car pic you posted is a newly rebuilt one. The end door is gone and crash protection has increased. And, as for sneaking up on you... after you spend a while shooting slow freights on AMTK's Northeast Corridor... you learn to constantly look behind you to see if a 100mph+ train is coming! LOL! DE Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk