15T may be a bit late (Train verses truck)

Started by dschlegel, May 28, 2014, 10:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschlegel

I found myself isolated on the other side of the tracks from my home tonight while driving home from work by a stopped train in Topton, PA. I took a side street to get to the other crossing in town and found it blocked too, and half of a trailer laying in a lawn and on the street. So after a @3 mile detour I got home to find my wife and daughter had already walked to the tracks to see what was going on.

To make a long story short, the driver actually parked his rig on the Home Ave crossing (after passing the no trucks sign a block behind him), got out and walked into Jak's diner to ask for directions.

The stories from folks I talked with were that several residents told him to move the rig, he  replied that he'd only be a minute.

It didn't take that long for 15T to roll into town westbound and probably at track speed (50 I think).

Now I'm pretty sure the engineer dumped the air well below impact because the power was only a hundred yards or so beyond the crossing, maybe less.

I've heard the crew made it out with minor injuries, which is relieving.

The trailer was empty as far as I can tell from the remains, which is also relieving because my front door is only 50 yards in a direct line from the crossing, I couldn't imagine the mess if it had been loaded with batteries from the Deka warehouse which is where he was headed.

Here's some photos of the aftermath.
PA Dan
Looking at Home Ave crossing from Jak's diner:

View from the White Palm Tavern patio:

View from Main st crossing looking east:

View from same Main St crossing looking west, note that the power wasn't too far past  the impact:

dschlegel

I had to run to a meeting at church for a bit, which is in Mertztown about a mile east of Topton. I didn't hear another train until about 20:45 (the accident happened at about 17:15). I got home at 21:00 and walked down to find 15T had moved, but the remains of the truck were still being cleared.

Here's the back portion of the trailer on the south side of the Home ave crossing:

What is left of the crossing signal from the SW quadrant:

A different view of the back of the trailer, it was a clean slice for sure:

The front part of the trailer had spun around on the tractor:

Finally a bad shot of that front part of the trailer being lifted onto a roll back by some serious claws(look closely above the white fireman's helmet):

thpbears

And his minute cost how many hours? You just can't reason with some people.

dschlegel

WFMZ reported this morning that the driver is in police custody and is being charged with risking a catastrophe. They also confirmed he stopped on the tracks and left his truck there to go ask directions.
As for timing, the train was delayed at least 3 hours, and as of this morning at 06:45 the Home Ave crossing was still closed and the signal guys were still working on a new mast and gate.
PA Dan

Matt L

Quote from: dschlegel on May 29, 2014, 09:54:26 AM
WFMZ reported this morning that the driver is in police custody and is being charged with risking a catastrophe.

Good. He belongs in jail. There was a truck-train collision on the Falls Road between Rochester and Buffalo last week because the driver claims he didn't see the train coming. Mind you, the crossing had working flashers. I can't fathom how these idiot drivers assume they have the right of way. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

steveiez

I was in the trucking business for 40 years and I have met some good drivers and some really bad ones. Since around 1990 the quality of drivers has become very low quality.
This company pictured is a long distance carrier, which means they will hire almost anybody.
In the USA it is harder each year too find people that want to work really hard jobs...this is one example why.
Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk