11/13/2012 on NS's CNO&TP

Started by SimRacin40, November 14, 2012, 07:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimRacin40

Had plans to visit Norfolk Southern south of Danville yesterday, after finding out there'd be a circus train and possibly a heritage unit, that was an even bigger incentive to go.

I made it to Danville by 9, and found out the Circus train had been by. I went south, hoping there'd be some way to catch up to it. The scanner was quiet most of the time, and I actually made my way down into Tennessee before giving up and going north. At Flat Rock, I heard the dispatcher say that the train was by the signal at Cumberland Falls, so I went south again to find a photo spot. One spot in Whitley City didn't work so well, so I tried again at Strunk. Would've liked to have found a location where I could get more of the train in the photo, but I'm still learning the area.

NS 047, Strunk,KY 11/13/2012 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr
After catching the circus train, I went north, looking for the PC heritage unit that was leading 55A. A quick stop at Burnside answered that question, as 55A was still sitting there waiting for a crew. I went north, again, to find a spot to wait for the oncoming southbounds, and to hopefully find a place to wait on 55A to come north. After getting to Waynesburg, the southbounds started moving, along with several northbounds:

NS 295, Waynesburg,KY 11/13/2012 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr

NS 229, Waynesburg,KY 11/13/2012 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr

NS 111, Waynesburg,KY 11/13/2012 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr

NS 111, Waynesburg,KY 11/13/2012 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr
I went back up to Bowen to wait on a few more southbounds, but I was running out of daylight. Several of the northbounds I saw at Waynesburg passed me again here.

NS 179, Bowen,KY 11/13/2012 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr

NS 143, Bowen,KY 11/13/2012 by bluegrassrailfan, on Flickr

The NS Operation Lifesaver unit on 143 wasn't too shabby, but it's the same one I've already photographed - twice. I'm still "learning" the area over there, with each trip I manage to find some of the photo locations everyone else here probably knows by now. NS hasn't been too bad for my last three trips over there, first trip was the CAT train, second trip had the CofG heritage unit, and yesterday's trip had a circus train & a heritage unit. Guess I should visit more often!

thpbears

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk