11R in Greensboro, NC

Started by mbgphoto79, June 20, 2012, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbgphoto79

Got the news late last night that 11R would have a solid consist of heritage unit power. Naturally I knew I had to catch it even though it would probably be a night shot. There was great communication on the various boards of the location of this train until it got south of Charlottesville, VA. Judging from the location at 2am I had good feelings that there would at least be some light by the time he came through.

A buddy was keeping an eye on ATCS and texted me around 0520 with "something lined through, might be him." I threw on some shorts, grabbed the Canon and headed out into the muggy June air. There was just a hint of light in the eastern sky. I pulled up to Pomona Yard where there was a group of 4 railfans that were about to complete an all-nighter. They had seen around 15 trains since midnight so it was at least an eventful evening.

The southbound cleared Busick on the ACTS so we dispersed to move into position. I headed downtown to try and catch all three units under the rising sun with the skyline in the background. I got hung up in some traffic and heard him clear Elm just as I was pulling up. He was on the move! The NYC unit shattered the still of morning with it's brand new 5 chime perfectly tuned air horn. Just as I had jumped out of my car I scrambled back in to give chase. I knew the shot I had wasn't going to be good.

The radio was alive with chatter from northbound 202 and the yardmaster about dragging equipment. 202 stopped about a half mile from where I was and 11R slowed for a visual inspection. This was going to buy me enough time to get down to CP Cox and try to set up for another shot. High Point Rd. is the only direct way to travel to where I was headed, but it is strewn with traffic lights. I may have taken some liberty in allowing a couple of passes in order to speed the journey.

There was some friendly banter on the radio from 202 about the fancy units and the conductor on 11R responded "there are so many buttons and stuff I don't know what I'm doing in here". The yardmaster noted that photos would be available online later...

I whipped my Honda into the parking lot of the air conditioning service company which backs up to the SOU mainline. "11R diverging clear Cox 2 to 1"...Just made it!

chipallen16

I can't believe that made it to the Piedmont. Wow, I'm glad you caught that!

-Chip  :)

Ptrainman

Nice catch man. I thought about heading to Danville but I figured it would come through at night.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk