Where old engines go to die?

Started by NSMoWandS, June 16, 2012, 08:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSMoWandS

So, I am headed south and stopped at Radford, VA. I am starting to think this is where NS sends old engines to die. First pics is of a HH GP50. Notice the sub lettering on the cab!

NSMoWandS

This is of two old SD40's of N&W heritage. Notice the 3 brake cylinders per truck.

NSMoWandS

And last... a HH SD40-2 with a D8-32B and two more N&W SD40's(three brake cylinders also.)

NSDash9

None of those units are in storage.  The 6100's are all SD40-2's that have went through capital rebuilding.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

NSMoWandS

Thanks Chris. I know... it was just the fact that they were all old units... all in one place.  Sort of how UP sent their SD90MAC's and C60WAC's to Texas to haul rock before being deactivated.

BuffaloRailfan30

Quote from: NSMoWandS on June 17, 2012, 07:59:50 AM
Thanks Chris. I know... it was just the fact that they were all old units... all in one place.  Sort of how UP sent their SD90MAC's and C60WAC's to Texas to haul rock before being deactivated.

UP still has quite a few SD90MAC's and some AC60CW's roaming around out there.

maersksealand3329

The true SD90MAC's (the 6000HP ones) are gone off the roster. most have been parted out and scrapped, however some escaped the torch and were rebuilt into SD70ACE's by TMS for a metal railroad in the land down under. The 90MACS you speak of are SD9043MAC's (literally an SD70MAC in an SD90 carbody)

The AC6000's UP has are all still active, exept they are now CW60/44AC convertables.  UP decided to downgrade them to CW44AC status, as the HDL is out.  Once the prime movers from these units was pulled, it was also scrapped. CSX on the other hand kept theirs at the full 6000 HP, but with the EVO 16 in theirs.  It has a different chug to it.  IF it was me to classify CSX's 6000HP beasts, instead of CW60AC, These to me would be ES60AC, because of the EVO 16 in them.
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!!!!
Its My Life :-)
www.facebook.com/railfan1
Skype-michael.fair3

BuffaloRailfan30

Quote from: maersksealand3329 on June 17, 2012, 12:22:35 PM
The true SD90MAC's (the 6000HP ones) are gone off the roster. most have been parted out and scrapped, however some escaped the torch and were rebuilt into SD70ACE's by TMS for a metal railroad in the land down under. The 90MACS you speak of are SD9043MAC's (literally an SD70MAC in an SD90 carbody)

The AC6000's UP has are all still active, exept they are now CW60/44AC convertables.  UP decided to downgrade them to CW44AC status, as the HDL is out.  Once the prime movers from these units was pulled, it was also scrapped. CSX on the other hand kept theirs at the full 6000 HP, but with the EVO 16 in theirs.  It has a different chug to it.  IF it was me to classify CSX's 6000HP beasts, instead of CW60AC, These to me would be ES60AC, because of the EVO 16 in them.

Oh alright then thanks for all of the clarifications on those

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk