10-15-2011 - A death, and a death train?

Started by Ed Fury, October 16, 2011, 08:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Fury

Yesterday Mr. Bell alerted me to some trains headed my way on the NS Louisville District. About the same time I was receiving and confirming news of the death of a close friend who died unexpectedly in her sleep Saturday morning at the young age of 31. I figured there's nothing I can do but enjoy the sunshine, watch some trains, and be thankful I am still among the living on this planet.

First train through was a UP leading 23G quickly followed by an extra section of the daily coil train Z0A. After both cleared East 112 that had been waiting in the siding at Tucker came through headed West.

Ed Fury

There is a piece of dust, or dirt, on the glass of my camera lens and I can't shake it loose or get access under the glass to remove it. It's causing my camera to blur the left side of my photos pretty bad even though it is not appearing on the actual digital images it is affecting the tracking.

The whole left side of the first image is just a blur. Focus point was on the construction equipment dead center...

Okay so I have been waiting on NS 289 with the SD60 GMTX to come through and it finally does. Just about when I am out of sunlight at the Watterson Trail Overpass. This is where I have been warned not to photograph without notifying the police in advance.

As I later find out, it seems, that 289 had been involved in a crossing fatality earlier in the day and that was what took the train so long to get in to Louisville. I don't even know what you would call that. But I guess I ended up seeing a death train on the same day a friend passed away. Pretty morbid.

Last are two shots of NS 168 in terrible light with the glare of the engine lights killing any chance of a respectable shot. But you can see some color in the trees. Maybe a week or two and earlier in the day and I can get a fall shot from here...

Badhorse79

Nice shots Ed ! And I'm sorry about the loss of your friend !

Ed Fury

Quote from: Badhorse79 on October 16, 2011, 10:18:38 PM
Nice shots Ed ! And I'm sorry about the loss of your friend !

Thank you x2.

Z0A when he first popped in to view.

This is MP 285 at the Four Seasons Apartments taken from along the side of Six Mile Lane.

Matt L

Quote from: Ed Fury on October 16, 2011, 08:49:50 PM
Yesterday Mr. Bell alerted me to some trains headed my way on the NS Louisville District. About the same time I was receiving and confirming news of the death of a close friend who died unexpectedly in her sleep Saturday morning at the young age of 31. I figured there's nothing I can do but enjoy the sunshine, watch some trains, and be thankful I am still among the living on this planet.

Sorry about your loss. Train watching/chasing can be excellent therapy. I often find myself in deep thought between trains or while driving from one location to another. It really does help me make sense of things during difficult times. 
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk