10 hours of Good weather...and 3 trains

Started by E.M. Bell, October 09, 2011, 07:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

After our little trip to TN last weekend on a supposedly "sunny" day, I felt the need to vindicate myself and try again this weekend. Mostly Sunny was the forecast here all week (and they got it right this time)...to bad the NS didn't cooperate and run a few more trains.

I met up with Caleb and Butch for a day of shooting up in the hills and hollers South of Somerset (KY), and it looked like it was going to be a great day. There is just a hint of color in the tree's right now, and the sun and cooler temps made for a great day to be out. For what ever reason, the CNO&TP was unusually dead for a Saturday, and we (I) only manged to shoot 3 Southbounds all day, but the company was good, and it was a awesome day to be out and about...trains or no trains.

The full sized versions of these can be found at this link  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nscs2eb11

NS 143 rolls through the wide open spaces of Southern Pulaski County Ky, with blue skies and a little color in the tree's between keno and Dead Ox Hollow.

Train 229 passes the end of the big cut at Dead Ox Hollow..There is already pretty good color at this location

Southbound grain train 54A crosses over Lake Cumberland Late in the afternoon.

Another view of the 54A. Butch can be seen in this shot, if you look real close at the bottom right hand corner of the image.

I have been asked before if we just make up names of some of the places we go, like "Dead Ox Hollow"...well, be assured that we dont. Here is proof that it DOES exist. "You aint been anywhere till you have been here"

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

nsgelocos

Great shots and color! The color down here is getting really good. I didn't catch but two trains yesterday. 224 and another Northbound with a SOO SD60 in the consist.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

Badhorse79

Me and Ken hit dead ox back in 93' ,  and like you said" he told me where we were going,  I was like yeah ok whatever ya say dude ! then we went down a fire road or something and wahla dead ox hollow ?!?! All I could say was only in kentucky man ( I love that place ) The only train we saw there that day was a northbound and a tank car had a cap tangeling from a chain and it smacked the dragging object flaps and the lil box made a funky alarm sound so we split and headed to kings mountain for the day

Ed Fury

E.M. are you going to be out on the CNO&TP on the 22nd of this month?

E.M. Bell

Ed, Nope..I wont be. We will be in Roanoke VA that weekend.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Quoteit was a awesome day to be out and about

Amen!
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Ed Fury

Quote from: E.M. Bell on October 10, 2011, 06:58:11 PM
Ed, Nope..I wont be. We will be in Roanoke VA that weekend.

Okay. You can disregard that email I sent you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk