Steam returns to the NS mainline...today in Chattanooga

Started by E.M. Bell, September 02, 2011, 06:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

This morning at 11am, for the first time since 1994, a steam powered passenger train made its way over the NS mainline in Chattanooga

TVRM's Southern 630 powered a small, 3 car train from Debutt's yard to the TVRM "Grand Junction" wye & return with the NS CEO and invited guest of the RR on-board.  While this trip was short in length, its significance was overwhelming....NS has made good on its promise of a steam program.

Tomorrow (Saturday, 09/03/11) will see a pair of trips operate with the paying public along basically the same route, and a round of congratulations should go out to NS & TVRM, for making this a reality again.  

Below are a couple of the many images I shot of today's trip..

#1 The 630 departs CP Jersey on the NS mainline headed for downtown Chattanooga, with lots of stack talk as she gets the small train up to track speed. Had you asked me a year ago if we would ever get to see this sight again, I would have laughed at you.  

#2 The 630 eases out of Debutts yard at CP "East End" while a CSX freight passes by on the W&A mainline

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

lwjabo

Looks like Saturday will be dry but changing Sunday. Monday looks like rain for sure. The temps should be in the 80's which want be to bad. Looks like Sunday will get some rain but later in the day hopefully.

mbgphoto79

Yes indeed, kudos to NS and the TVRM for making this happen, especially now. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk