New Albany Indiana 08-30-2011

Started by Ed Fury, August 31, 2011, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Fury

On my way to New Albany I tried to get a few shots of 23G being assembled from a different pedestrian overpass.

Photo #1 - The switcher bring a cut up on the siding while 23G waits on the main.
Photo #2 - The switcher breaks off so 23G can pull forward and then back in to connect.

Ed Fury

Photo #1 - 23G pulling forward before they back up to connect the train.
Photo #2 - Missed this train go by as I was messing around in New Albany and not paying attention.

Ed Fury

Photos 5 to 7 - The autorack that went West before 23G blocked the main earlier in the day comes by again.

Ed Fury

Photos 8 & 9 - After the west facing signal light randomly changed green, yellow, and red for about 2 hours. This mixed freight finally came down the hill about 20 minutes behind a hi-rail vehicle.

Ed Fury

#10 and #11 going across the K&IT bridge. One day I'll own a real camera and have enough glass to capture this scene properly. Until then I can practice.

Ed Fury

The problem I have with New Albany is to get the majority of the train in the photo from the top deck of the amphitheater you end up with half a photo of a grass field. To change that you could get closer to the track and get a head on shot but then you would have headlight glare and distortion to deal with. Or you could wait until the train is closer and get a shot of the lead engine and maybe half of the second engine. Something that railpictures would reject for being a 3/4th wedge.. some of you more experienced rail photographers suggest a better angle or technique for me to use at this location.

memphis2857

That train you were shooting in New Albany would have been 224.  23g originates in louisville and only goes east.  224 usually leaves louisville a monster more often than not 9 or 10,000 tons

E.M. Bell

I am not sure what you mean by doing the shot of the K&I bridge properly, but I think what you have there is pretty good...not sure I would have done it much different myself, besides maybe cropping out the sidewalk on the bottom.

I have more than enough glass to have stood in the same spot and shot it to where you could have counted the seeds in the bird poop on the side of the engine from there, but whats the point. You got the bridge, train & the barges all in one shot...sometimes, in a scene like that, the train is NOT the most important single aspect of the image!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ed Fury

Sorry about that. The first 3 pictures were taken in Louisville. I think that was the Newburg Road overpass. The one that is right next to the GE Appliance Park yard. I have a bad time with street names. I just do the turn left here turn right there directions that get people lost.

Ed Fury

Quote from: E.M. Bell on August 31, 2011, 08:55:33 PM
I am not sure what you mean by doing the shot of the K&I bridge properly, but I think what you have there is pretty good...not sure I would have done it much different myself, besides maybe cropping out the sidewalk on the bottom.

I have more than enough glass to have stood in the same spot and shot it to where you could have counted the seeds in the bird poop on the side of the engine from there, but whats the point. You got the bridge, train & the barges all in one shot...sometimes, in a scene like that, the train is NOT the most important single aspect of the image!

You are right.

I can just look at the image and see the weakness of my camera and I think that is really my problem or hangup. I am just jonesing for a new camera.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk