08-25-2011 on the Louisville district.

Started by Ed Fury, August 26, 2011, 03:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Fury

I was too slow and didn't make it out to catch the circus train this morning as planned.

I still decided to get up to the tracks and see if anything else was moving. I figured there wasn't any reason to sit around and pout about it with all that sunshine.

Photo#1 is a westbound autorack at Buechel.

The signals went green both ways after the autorack and the GE Appliance park yard was totally empty which is very rare so I figured NS had cleared everything out in front of the Circus train and I made the mistake of heading over to that other class1 railroad in town. There looked to be an RJ Corman ingot train staged to leave CSX Osborn Yard when I got a call that there was another westbound through Jeffersontown (mp 286). I raced over to Floyd St. to catch the train from the hill in the U of L parking lot on the East side of the NS/CSX diamond and the U of L football players were using the hill for conditioning drills. I tried to get to Bradley Park and just as I arrived another Autorack trains with two standard cabs went by.

I headed back towards the house following the NS line when I saw 23G staged and waiting on power.

Photo #2 23G before road power arrives

Ed Fury

Photos 3 & 4 - 23G arrives from the west and the switcher breaks off so they can begin to assemble the train.

Ed Fury

Ed Fury

Photo #7 - 23G starts the long trip to Norfolk.

Almost one hour exactly after 23G went east the next train comes through.

Photo #8 - SD70 running LHF to the mixing center in Simpsonville. Keep this in mind.

* That wire across the street is new and it got me twice but the 3rd time I corrected for it.

Ed Fury

Photos 9 & 10 - 22A at mp 286.

I had decided to try and get lunch and of course after the LHF autorack train something would come back the other way. I knew 22A would block the main for at least an hour so I took a lunch break.

Ed Fury

After lunch I waited in the blistering sunshine for the signal to go red so I could go stand out in the middle of traffic on an overpass and get yelled at by drunk hillbillies, talked to by cops, and asked if I needed any help by little old ladies in mini vans so I could catch you guessed it. That SD70 running widecab forward on the return run from the mixing center. 2 1/2 hours round trip.

photos 11 & 12 - Paleface 2594

Ed Fury

By now I look like John Candy in Summer Rental so I figured a little more sunburn couldn't hurt.

Photo #13 - Another autorack with some colorful junkers

By now I had had enough sun so I moved to another location under a shade tree where I could still see the signal at mp 286.

Photo #14 - A short mixed freight crosses Hurstbourne Lane where as a kid this used to be farms and fields.

csx6900

Quote from: Ed Fury on August 26, 2011, 03:16:39 AM
...stand out in the middle of traffic on an overpass and get yelled at by drunk hillbillies, talked to by cops, and asked if I needed any help by little old ladies in mini vans...

LOL!  That covers just about all of them, doesn't it?  Anyways, nice photos!  Your overpass shots were well worth the trouble.  ;)

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

E.M. Bell

Drunk Hillbillies?? Hey now, thats hitting a little close to home..   :P
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Matt L

Quote from: Ed Fury on August 26, 2011, 03:16:39 AM
After lunch I waited in the blistering sunshine for the signal to go red so I could go stand out in the middle of traffic on an overpass and get yelled at by drunk hillbillies, talked to by cops, and asked if I needed any help by little old ladies in mini vans so I could catch you guessed it.

Yep, I've experienced all of that nonsense, too... from drunk rednecks to cops to the nosy old ladies. It gets old very quick...
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Ed Fury

I'm still waiting for a girls gone wild "flash". I bet I get drilled in the head with a beer bottle before that happens though.

The police doing welfare checks crack me up. I always tell them the economy isn't that bad yet so I'm not jumping today. A simple thumbs up as they pull up apparently isn't enough they have to get out and physically inspect you or something. I keep waiting for one of those worlds worst driver moments as some rubbernecker smashes into the back of the police car and knocks it over the bridge onto the railroad tracks.

For such a simple hobby it sure has some drama moments.

Badhorse79

Yes it does ! I was out for a day of rail fanning where ive went for over three years ( even waited till midnight for the OCS ) and mass police cars pass by but one day I get a some guy with a pissy mom that live on the street  I noticed he was coming out side and lookin at us got in his truck and drove passed then came out side on his phone and boom here come the police saying were obstructing traffic ???? WTF I know that @$$ called on me and the cop said he was sorry but he had to do something to shut him up I wasn't the first railfan he called on! The cop also said since he lives close to the tracks he complains about the horn blowing ( dude freakin move ) butthead

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk