16 trains today, and we missed 6-7

Started by butch, March 19, 2011, 11:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

I met up with Dan Thompson this morning to give him the Kentucky Rathole experience.  In 10.5 hours, we shot 16 trains and missed several more between Burnside and Cumberland Falls.  No, I'm not posting pix of 16 different trains, but here are few interesting shots:

1925 rail on the old siding at Lake Cumberland

NB on the bridge at Burnside passing 117 while it was stopped to pick up some cars-taken from lakeside beneath the south portal of CNO&TP Tunnel 4

SB at MP175 at Dead Ox Hollow

sort of fuzzy pic of Southern Pacific 2nd unit on what sounded like M44 at KD Tower

another fuzzy pic, this time of BNSF 9718 as the 4th unit on a 143 consist that went BNSF 4101, GMTX 9050, NS 6619, and BNSF 9718, also at KD Tower

Dan working his way though the lakeside end of CNO&TP Tunnel 4
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

nsgelocos

The northbound passing 117 is 174. I caught him in Lancing doing some switching and found out that there mid C40-9W had a burned out traction motor. So he had a hard time getting moving again. I quickly moved to andy cooper road and caught him there and then again at sunbright utilzing my 720I camera on my ipod to capture it, along with my Edirol R-09HR recorder and mic for audio.

I caught 48A three times yesterday. Sunbright, andy cooper, and Oakdale. 60M came through with 2 C40-9s and 2 SD60s. Missed 177, 223, and 124.

Glad to see you got most of the trains  :)
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

E.M. Bell

Looks like yall had a good day...nice to see the CS getting busy again! 

That shot of the bridge, from the tunnel is killer...Gonna have to start calling that Adkins Rock, or Butch's perch 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Thanks, it was a great time, the most trains I've ever seen in one day...at least until the first week of April.  I'm heading to Denver again for a week and I'm planning on hitting Power River Basin for a couple of days.   Anyway, it was fun getting down for the lake shot, the most water I've ever seen in Tunnel 4 and the lake is back up to about 710 ft.-enough to be in the old US 27 tunnel. 
Butch Adkins

nsgelocos

You think tunnel 4 is bad? Tunnel 24 is johnboat territory...  :o
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

butch

I've gotten to where I don't even try 24, I just hike to T22 on the jeep trail.  A lot of them are swampy; T11, T12, and T18 never seem to dry up.  T5 will freeze over sometimes in the winter.  Of course none of them can hold a candle to T26.
Butch Adkins

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk