01-22-2011 Louisville District

Started by Ed Fury, January 23, 2011, 01:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Fury

While E.M. and Carmon were on the East side of the Louisville District I spent some time West of them. I made it out too late to get set up for 22A, even after getting a heads up from E.M., and I caught it passing over Hurstbourne & Six Mile Lane before I could get in place to get a shot without all the electrical wires in the way. After going all the way to the Shelby county line I turned around and went back to Buechel to watch 23G being built for the afternoon run East.

Upon arriving in Buechel 22A was parked West of the Bardstown Rd crossing by about 10 feet DPU cab facing to the rear and 239? was East of the crossing by about 10 feet. Both crossing gates were down and cars were running the through the crossing gates one after another. I must have seen at least 20 cars blow through the signals. A TARC bus was pulled over in the oncoming traffic lane and the driver was standing outside watching the trains. She started yelling at me while I was taking photos that the trains were about to run in to each other and don't they know they have two trains on the same track headed for each other. I tried to explain that was the rear end and they were both going the same direction but with all the people blowing through the crossing and the signals and noise she couldn't hear me.

Photo #1 & #2 Dpu on 22A @ Old Bardstown Rd in Buechel where the GE Appliance park yard and the old Southern wye begin.

Ed Fury

Photo #3 NS 239 on the North East side of Old Bardstown Rd. They had to just go because traffic was still ignoring the crossing gates. I thought I might actually get to photograph a wreck today. This DPU stuff will get someone killed before people realize what is going on.

Photo #4 23G with local power waiting for the road power to take it East. This is at the end of Hikes Lane next to a pet crematorium. They will let you park in their lot and watch the trains. I've been there enough they know me by my car but they are railfan friendly.

Ed Fury

Photo #5 The Mi-jacks used for 23G and 22A I do not know what this place is called but the green sign way on the other side where the main line runs through says Whitner.

Photo #6 NS 168 Westbound at Waddy Kentucky entering the siding for 22A to pass by on its way East.

Matt L

Quote from: Ed Fury on January 23, 2011, 01:48:19 AM
Photo #5 The Mi-jacks used for 23G and 22A I do not know what this place is called but the green sign way on the other side where the main line runs through says Whitner./quote]

Could it be Appliance Park?

http://www.nscorp.com/nscintermodal/Intermodal/System_Info/Terminals/appliance.html
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

E.M. Bell

Ed, Glad you had some luck, and sorry we didnt catch up with you. We sat and waited on 23G at Pope Lick, but I started to figure the light was gonna be gone by the time he got out, plus my knee was killing me from being in the cold air (and cooped up in the car) so we headed on back to the house. Carm and myself both got some good stuff...she has already put her's out on the board, and I will get mine done sometime in the near future.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Ed Fury

E.M. that was me following behind y'all on the way back. I figured I would explore that end of the line before it got dark. I wanted to try and find that street running in downtown Harrodsburg but by the time I found the line I could hear the train headed West already and I was West of town so I chased it back to Waddy.

Matt the GE appliance park yard is East of the intermodal facility by a mile or so. I'm not sure they use the same name for both locations. I know they will put cuts of cars there (GE) and also in front of the facility and along the siding that joins the two locations. I guess that's why I have so much trouble trying to identify the place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk