Signals, the supporting equipment

Started by D300, May 07, 2012, 10:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D300

For sometime now we have all be aware of the use of what I call 'OSHA Cage" signal poles. The one with the fully enclosed cage around the ladder. Got to thinking the other day, since CSX is not using this style, it is a NS thing and not mandated by a higher authority.

Anyone on the list know what this cage is specifically intended to do? Is it designed so a maintainer uses the cage to attach a harness to while they climb? Or is it simply, if you fall you have something to grab for as you go down? I always thought if you fell the cage would beat you up as you fell.

On another note: for a period NS was using another oddity, that I call the "Flag Pole" signal. This is the one that the signal head is raised up and down (like a flag) to change bulbs. These are the ones on a square pole which lack a ladder. Is this style being used any longer? (Any official name for this type of signal?)

D300

Backyard

8) Any worker that leaves the ground does so in accordance within ANSI as well as OSHA regulations...this means 3-points of contact at all times.

A safety harness is the new standard in climbing safety, including a lanyard that has a buffer belt to soften the fall when the slack runs out.

A safety belt and lanyard are the minimum required equipment.

All climbers use these tools to maintain three points of contact with the object being climbed.

That is the regulation side, now here is where the money goes(follow the money).

There have been enough climbing accidents nationwide to justify placing a cage around person aloft. The cage may not look practical and for sure a person could fall to the ground inside the cage however, the presence of the cage gives added protection for the smart worker that uses a belt and lanyard or harness.

It may seem like overkill and not required for such low level climbs however even a fall at 4-feet can break an ankle, resulting in a visit to the E.R. as well as temporary disability cost of downtime.
Backyard/Allen

D300

I have noticed that CSX is currently putting up new signals that LACK the cage. The appear to use a line/bar/cable that runs up near the ladder to connect and harnesses.

So did the movable "flagpole" signals run their course? Are any news ones being put into service today? The were designed to keep the employee on the ground, but did they work in reality?

T2

GP30Rider

I have heard that the "flagpole" signals are a pain to raise and lower.  I've never even seen it done so don't know if that is true or not. 

blacksheep

my grand dad worked at coster in the 50's and 60's. people were having this same question back then when they started putting cages on all the ladders around the shop. best i remember the answer they came up with was, if you were on the ladder and got tired you could lean back on the cage and rest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk