Track Warrant Question

Started by pafan, September 30, 2007, 08:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pafan

What is the difference in "hold the track at the last named point" and " clear the track at last named point" in a track warrant?
I have found that my assumptions on what the above means may not be correct.

Brent

E.M. Bell

ie...proceed from Waddy to Joyes on the main track. Hold main track at last named point. .

Once the train gets to joyes, they have rights to pull to the far end of the siding on the main track. who ever they are meeting will take the siding.

Clear main track at last named point. Take the siding at the last named point, and do not proceed past that point. the train they are meeting will be on the main..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

Quote from: E.M. Bell on September 30, 2007, 08:21:23 PM

Clear main track at last named point. Take the siding at the last named point, and do not proceed past that point.

Train cannot clear the track warrant until switch entering the siding has been lined, locked, and restored for main track movement.

Hoydie17

Quote from: nsboxcar on September 30, 2007, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: E.M. Bell on September 30, 2007, 08:21:23 PM

Clear main track at last named point. Take the siding at the last named point, and do not proceed past that point.

Train cannot clear the track warrant until switch entering the siding has been lined, locked, and restored for main track movement.

And the SPAF has to be filled out and signed by all crewmembers as well, or the DS can't clear the warrant in the computer.
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Junior

QuoteAnd the SPAF has to be filled out and signed by all crewmembers as well, or the DS can't clear the warrant in the computer.

This is only required in Dark Territory. 

If the track warrant is given without "Hold" or "Clear" this means that the train has no rights to pass the first switch for the siding.  They can not proceed down the main until they get some rights.

Later
Junior

Backyard

8) I'm with Mr. Bell, the movement may proceed to Joyes ("proceed from Waddy to Joyes on the main track"), must stop short of a switch or signal, allowing a movment onto the siding.

We could clear the main at Waddy, for a following train("clear track at last named point"), or a train occupying the siding headed in the opposite direction.

To clear the track past Joyes, we'd be on the main, obstructing the siding. The signal at Waddy may allow a forward movement at restricted speed to a stop signal. The warrent, tell's us what's going on ahead, at the next diverging route.

We only operate on a Know So, not a "think so!"
Backyard/Allen

Michael Knight

A train can be given a warrant that states, for example, "Proceed from Bearden to Boyd on the main track." (Lines six or eight not checked.) The dispatcher can then give the train permission to occupy the siding at Boyd and the train can clear up in the siding.

geno404

Living along CTC lines, I've never observed operations in Track Warrant Territory, so I'm  confused about how you lock the switch up behind the train that ended up in the siding. 

Does that mean that the conductor has to let the train pull into the siding and then walk the entire way back to the locomotive?  With some of those very long trains that the NS runs, that would seem quite the hike each time they meet a train.

I presume that's the purpose of the spring switches after they meet the opposing train?  They can just pull out and the switch stays lined for the main behind them?

Thanks!

Junior

The conductor has to open up for the train to pull in.  Depending on the location of the train they are meeting he may let that other train line it back.  If it will be a long wait for the train the conductor may line the switch back after the train pulls in and walk back to the head end.  If he decides to allow the train they are meeting line it back he can not clear his track warrant until that switch has been restored.  Now this may differ some in Dark territories.

Later
Junior

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk