Danville--Nov-3--NS-8103 N&W, KCS-4830, & two old engines

Started by Bill Richardson, November 04, 2014, 08:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

I was at the Danville yard yesterday, but didn't get there until about midday.  The lighting isn't good that time of day, but I got what I could.

I drove to the old station first, saw plenty of trains and engines, but didn't notice anything special from a quick look around, then went around near the bridge, parked and walked out on the bridge.  Went there last week, but there wasn't much to see.  Yesterday was different.  From up on the bridge, I saw a pair of engines moving toward the bridge.  One turned out to be a KCS, #4830.  I hurried and got some photos of that one, which was hooked with a BNSF unit.  Those engines did a switch, then moved south through the yard, and I never saw them again.  While up on the bridge, I saw a lead engine that looked different.  It turned out to be the 8103 N&W.

Back down at the yard, I got some photos of the front of the N&W, and nearby trains.  The one on the outside that was blocking a broadside view of the N&W had four engines, and one was NS-5111, a GP38-2, "high hood".  It was 3rd in line.  I made several photos of that one, and waited for that train to pull out, so I could get a clear view of the N&W Heritage.

NS-5111  GP38-2

NS-8103   N&W Heritage unit

Update:
This photo is 900 pixels wide, and didn't show up in full on here, so here is a link to the source on Photobucket.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h344/Redford91/Railroad%20Photos/Norfolk%20Southern/Danville%20Yard/2014-11-3%20%20Dvlle/100_3770---NS-8103--NampWHeritage--Dvlle--900px.jpg

After I finished with the N&W, I took a better look at an old engine on the far side. It has the Operation Lifesaver logo, and I thought it might be the one I saw back in the summer, an SD40-2, or one just like it.  I zoomed in and found out that it is a GP60, so I clicked a few photos of that one too, getting the 8103 in a couple of them.

NS-7140  GP60

Yesterday was an exceptional day at Danville.

leroy

Bill... Thanks for takin the time to post these pictures... I really like ole NS5111; there ain't many of them left...

Keep up the good work...
leroy
leroy

chipallen16

Leroy, there are 243 high hood GP38-2s still on the roster.

-Chip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk