The "new" NS Braking System

Started by NSyorktown, October 12, 2007, 12:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSyorktown

Here's the press release per NS corporate . . .

http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nscorp/Media/News%20Releases/2007/braking.html

Could anyone on this Board please describe the technical details in English for me(?).  What is so different, superior, drastic, etc. of this new system?   I imagine it is a major innovation, I just don't fully grasp the difference.

Thanks is advance!  RDS

JCagle

From what I have gathered on the new ECP braking system it is designed to address three major shortcomings with the old pneumatic brake system. The main problems with the old brake system included

1)The brakes couldn't be applied simultaneously to all cars at once since the pressure variation had to travel the length of the train.

2)The long recharging time after application of the brakes. or brake testing since the reservoirs can't be recharged while the brake pipe maintains pressure to hold the train.

3) All or nothing application of brakes. If your brakes were excessive for the stopping point you had to choose to stop short or release the brakes completely. 

This new system should take care of issues with all 3 of these problems. The reward to the  investment is shorter stopping times with more efficiency.

I would think the simultaneous braking system would also make the slack a lot easier.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

NSyorktown

Nice, thanks for the info. 

I can see the functional advantage (fairly well). 

Now, is it practical when it comes to costs?  Does it involve the expense of retro-fitting every car and locomotive?  Or is it a train-by-train thing? 

TIA!

RDS

JCagle

They have started with one train and several engines. This will be an ongoing project with what looks like priority on hopper cars and engines that will be in service with them. I haven't seen a timetable on getting everything equipped with the new equipment but I would think that it would be years away before it is something on every train. Priority on hopper cars such as coal and grain make sense because those trains have up to 100 or so cars and that's a lot of weight to stop.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk