New Highball Productions Rathole DVD

Started by NS O SCALER, November 21, 2013, 10:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS O SCALER

post deleted

NSyorktown

It's very good, well done . . . . so, yes, I would recommend it.

In this project, they stay in each spot longer than most videos.

For instance, I think there are 7 trains shown at Kings Mountain alone (rather than showing one, and moving on up or down the line).

The video and audio work, plus narration, are well done.

Final thought, I have over 10 commercial video's of or about the Rathole line, and would easily rank it among the Top 5 in my collection.

E.M. Bell

I have not seen any videos on the CNO&TP (Sorry..the Rathole died in 1963) since that horrable Pentrex video was released years ago, but if this new one is anything like that, don't waste your money.

Most of these video companies come in here, spend a few days shooting at the well known, easy to get to locations, get all the facts wrong and profit from it. I guess if you don't know much about the line, you would never know just how BAD they really are!  I would love to take one of those crews out with either Butch or myself for about a week, and be able to direct something like that. I bet we could get a Two Hour program and you would never see any places ever shot before on a for-sale video :)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

AD4YJ

E.M. .....  Why don't you and Butch grab an HD video camera and do some shooting. I am pretty good at video editing and DVD authoring, then we could have a JREB production of the CNO&TP?  Sell copies on here to support the site. Just a thought....

Paul
Paul
Co-Moderator ATCS Board

Ptrainman

If they did I would definitely be up for a copy.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

E.M. Bell

Truthfully, I had thought about doing that several times, but with not having access to decent video equipment anymore, never really pursued it. 

I used to have a high end Canon video set up several years ago (not Hidef or digital...think Hi8) and have hours and hours and hours of good old stuff on the CNO&TP and Louisville District (including a LOT of the old steam program)..but that camera crapped out on me. Between that stuff, and anything we could do today (as long as the quality is good)  I bet we could knock out a pretty good DVD. Combine some old stuff, modern stuff, let Butch do a tunnel tour...oh yea! 

If anyone has the equipment, I would be game for this idea! 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

A Tunnel Tour, we should try that.  :-)
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

AD4YJ

I figure on the "main" DVD do a teaser of tunnels, and then do an entire DVD for the tunnels....

Paul
Paul
Co-Moderator ATCS Board

nsgelocos

I always wanted to do a video on the Rathole entitled generally "The Entire Rathole". I've got a lot of video of the Rathole in locations un-filmed before.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

csx6900

I've got some half-decent HiDef equipment and live near the southern end of the Rathole, and I would be happy to contribute footage and work with E.M. and Butch and others to make this happen.  I also have some good editing software and a monster computer to render the project if needed.  :)

In the few big video productions I've created or been a part of, it seems that the planning stages are essential.  Particularly, a script needs to be written to decide what we want to feature and how we will make it flow.

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

E.M. Bell

This got serious quick. Thanks O scaler, just what I needed...another time consuming project :)  

Butch can direct the tunnel and history tour, I can do the modern and historic operations portion and work as the location scout, Paul is doing the editing and production.  Evan and Aaron are onboard as a cameraman (we will need more of those or someone to loan me a good video camera for awhile) and maybe we can twist Ron F's arm to be our writer and narrator..

so, the question is..just HOW serious are yall about this??  

and a second question, anyone have access to any equipment that can convert all of this HI-8 stuff I have to a format that can used??  I dont even have a way to watch it anymore.  
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

csx6900

I am pretty serious about it. The extent to which I can participate depends on what all will be required by the script exactly.

I'd love to work on the script with some other writing-inclined people. Although I don't have extensive knowledge of the Rathole or its history, I feel like I can write and organize a script in a way that sounds natural and makes things flow. Coupled with the knowledge and direction provided by people like Mr. Flanary and Emmett, I think I could help bang out a pretty good script!

I guess the question is... Who has skills they'd like to contribute and what skills are they? Assembling a crew/team seems the first logical step to me.

-Evan

AD4YJ

Believe it or not....Walgreen's does a decent job of this at a reasonable price....They can pretty much take any format and convert it to DVD....

Paul
Paul
Co-Moderator ATCS Board

E. Hodgson

With a little help I have authoring software that can chapter, section and convert to DVD format, even blueray though I do not have a blue ray burner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

csx6900

I have a BluRay burner on my computer. So if you can render the file, I can burn it! I can also do 5.1 surround sound, though I don't have a mic for it.

-Evan

KGilliam

Quote from: E.M. Bell on November 24, 2013, 01:36:09 PM
and a second question, anyone have access to any equipment that can convert all of this HI-8 stuff I have to a format that can used??  I dont even have a way to watch it anymore.  

That's easy.  All you need is a Digital8 camcorder with firewire.  It will play a Hi8 tape, and output digitally with firewire, so you lose nothing in the process.  You can go directly into the computer via usb, onto a dvd, or whatever media you like.  That's what I've done with all my Hi8 backlog.

Be warned though, some Hi8 tapes have a bad tendency to degrade.  Your footage may not look exactly like what it used to, and there is nothing you can do about that!
Kevin

Southern6482

I will be happy to help write/edit script and provide a historical pictorial analysis of the stuff I have on the first district. Perhaps a little side trip on the remainder of the FandC and discussion of Toyotas operations.

nsgelocos

I'd be pretty serious into doing something like that. I always wanted to. I'm obsessed with audio as well and would tinker and tinker with the audio to try to get it as "in person" sounding as possible.

I just had a thought!

This would be interesting if we could have 2 people people filming working our way towards the middle of the district from either end of it.
Aaron Beaubien
University of Kentucky
Mechanical Engineering

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk