Deuces Wild.. NS 167 and a day long chase.

Started by E.M. Bell, March 18, 2006, 10:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

After working every Saturday for the last Three months or so, I finally got one off.  With word that NS 167 would have a brand new SD70M-2 leading, it wasnt hard to figure out how to spend it!   After getting up early for a visit to the barber shop, I picked up Calab and we headed West. We finally ran into 167 at Tucker Ky (just outside of Louisville).  We would spend most of the day and over 100 miles shooting this one train, but hey..its a new EMD..would you expect any less?? We managed to shoot 167 in 13 places in 5 counties on 2 districts in a little over 5 hours..not a bad day. I have only included the better shots here.. (click on the thumnails for a larger image)

I bagged one early morning shot on the way to get my ears lowered. NS 283 passes the local power at Lawrenceburg KY.

Train 112 was in the siding at Tucker to meet Two Eastbounds, 223 and 167.  The sun was out, there was no clouds to worry about, and we had all day to follow the train East. With Almost perfect timing, 223 passes 112 at Tucker just moments after we arrive.

About Ten minutes later 167 grinds up the hill and we bag the first shot of the day on the new EMD. 167 was over 10,000 tons, so it would be a easy chase

After Tucker we tried a new location near Fisherville KY, but I didnt care for the results. The next stop was the long bridge near Downtown Shelbyville.

As 167 took its time climbing out of Shelbyville, we got back ahead and set up at Waddy. They would be meeting a Westbound 22A there, so it would offer us the chance for several angles. Here, 167 is seen at the West End of the siding, still working hard near the top of the hill.

And near the middle of the siding at the crest of the grade. It starts to turn down sharply here for the decent into Benson Valley.

The last shot at Waddy, as 167 slows to a stop at the East end.

While 167 waited at Waddy for the meet, Caleb and I decided to head towards Lawrenceburg. The S-curve at pump house road had always been a favorite shot.  It doesnt take long for the train to catch up to us.

One of my "signature"  shots on the Louisville district is at Vanarsdale Ky, just West of Talmage. While I have shot this location to death, I figured it would still be a great spot to showcase the new EMD...

After a decent run with only a couple of meets, 167 gets held at Talmage for Two Westbounds. Caleb and I head on South, but by now the sun has turned and the usual shots in Harrodsburg are not a option. Hearing a few trains ready to leave the yard at Danville (Ky), we motivate down to Junction city and soon catch 215 as he crossed the ghost of the L&N at 60 mph.  

And one last shot of 167 at Bowen KY on the CNO&TP . I have not shot this location from this angle before, and was pleased with the result. Its funny how you can find a new angle a place you have shot at for years.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

BryanJones

Good stuff Emmett. Got your call this morning, sorry I didn't get back in touch with you, I've been laidup since Tuesday with a bad chest cold so I haven't been trackside. I'd hoped to feel well enough this morning to go and shoot the NS #2713 which was supposed to arrive on the PAL plus drop by the NMRA Divion 8 swapmeet. Its about 5:15am on Sunday now and I am feeling a bit better now, might try and get out on Sunday afternoon for a bit if there is some sun and I'm not too heavily medicated and not hacking up my lungs!

Bryan Jones

E.M. Bell

Hope you can get out on Sunday Bryan...supposes to be to dang pretty to aly around sick! T69 also has a Deuce leading on Saturday...never got to shoot him though.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk