Altoona Weekend

Started by Hoydie17, March 09, 2006, 10:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoydie17

Hi all,

I'll cut to the chase first and provide the link.  This simply goes to my most recent uploads. http://www.hoydie17.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=0

Make sure you go to the 2nd page as there are more photos from the trip there.

The summary:

A couple of friends and I took off to Cresson, PA to stay at the Station Inn, under Innkeeper Tom Davis.   Let me just say this, if you haven't gone up there to stay yet, you're missing one of the best parts of railfanning the area.

//www.stationinnpa.com

Nevertheless, we were able to see the RJ Corman do a little work, the Everett RR was shut down, but it's power was there waiting for Monday to roll around.

SD80MACs were plentiful as we managed to catch 5 of them coming back to Cresson from the South Fork Secondary.  

And of course, NS managed to keep us satiated with a steady diet of manifests and double-stacks.  

Some of the locations we visited:

- Cassandra
- Cresson engine facility
- Altoona Yard & Amtrak Station
- Cresson Secondary
- Old Hallidaysburg Car Shops - there's a very impressive "boneyard" of abandoned railcars here.  We even found a pair of D&H gondola's complete with the original D&H logo barely visible.
- Gallitzin Tunnels & the Iron Horse Cafe
- Tunnel Hill

Anyways, feel free to let me know if there are any photos you like, or dislike for that matter.  :-)  Special thanks to "Conrail Billy", Sirterp and the rest of the Maryland Marines for showing us around up there.   Great time was had by all and we must do it more often.

Take care,

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Junior

Thanks for sharing.  
I enjoyed your shots

Junior

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk