A Outstanding EMD Moment on a cold snowy day

Started by E.M. Bell, February 13, 2006, 09:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Im sure you have already read Calebs diatribe on our trip on Sunday, but seeing as how we where in seperate vehicles and didnt shoot the same locations for the most part, here is mine..  If You see anything worth looking at here, just click on the thumbnail for a bigger view.

Gregg and myself arrived at North Wye a little ahead of the others, and soon after 287 shows up and ties down. On the point was one of them new fangled GE Gevo things, minus paint. After much soul searching I decided to shoot a couple shots of it..after all, its lifespan will be short..

I figured with the first shot of the day being a GE, the day was going to be  rather unproductive...at least there was snow.. The second shot of the day wouldnt be much better, but at least there is snow...

376 at North Wye..

After the action at the wye died down, we headed down to the yard In Danville to hang out and wait for the good stuff to show up.. Killing time, I shoot a very late 111 as it heads South...

After 111 leaves, the West side yard job shows up, with something worth aiming the camera at.. NS 5556, a Altoona rebuilt GP38-2

With things slowing down at the yard, we take a quick break for lunch and then settle in for the good stuff to show up. We have been waiting all morning for NS 177 to show itself..EMDX 76 is leading...there is snow, the afternoon will be good.  The first shot of t 177 is just North of Danville near the twin bridges...and after nailing shots of GE's all morning, I totally hose my 177 shot.  Cursing and speaking in tougues, I head back to the yard, Im not going to do that again..vengance would be had!!

177 arrives at Danviile, changes crews and then pulls South to add a Third Engine (A NS GP38-2). Randy and Caleb have already headed South, but We decided to hang around a while longer while the Geep is added. While the crew gets air back on the train, I managed to bag my first acceptable shot of the day..

Encouraged by the outcome of the above image, I head South for the next shot of 177. By now, the clouds are not as thick and the sun is showing at times.  Its off to Bowen to meet back up with the rest of the crew and try our luck again.  NS 283 gets out of the yard ahead of the 177, so I use it to try a angle for 177...hey, at least its a OLD GE...

283 runs and 177 pulls up to Bowen to meet a Northbound. The clouds are getting thick again and we watch the sun come and go.. Luck is with us and when 177 gets his light onto single track, the sun is out.. Vengence is mine!!

Randy and Caleb take off like a shot even before 177 gets over Bowen road, but I have noticed that he seems to be moving mighty slow for that much horsepower. I decided to not be in such a hurry, as we can probably get him again around Moreland. We set up at the old wood yard as a snow squall hits in a major way.  177 is moving slow and it seems to take forever to get to us. The headlights finally show throught the snow and he is still moving slow..Moreland hill is tough, but he should be going faster than this.  

Once the train tops over the hill, they seem to get a good roll on them, and he is way ahead of us by the time we get down to Palm About the time we catch his rear end, they tone up the DS and say that both of the trailing units are not loading. They will be stopping at Geneva to check it out. A little backgound here to set the scene for the big show.. Geneva is about the point where the big hill up to Kings Mountain starts. Southbound trains will often hold back here to get a run at the Mountain if they will have to meet one at Southfork, where double track starts..if they stop at Southfork, most will not be able to get started again...

With 177 stopped at Geneva, we leap ahead of him and set up at the big curve near the Green River dip. My decision to not be in a hurry and stay with the train is paying off.  The crew gets both of the trailing units working again and they start to move South...and the snow stops and the sun pops back out...sweet!!

Now its crunch time for us. We will have to quick to beat him to the top of the mountain. The roads are not bad, but he should make short work of the hill and has a much more direct route. We catch up with the head end near Southfork and notice he is slowing down again... Soon after, the crew informs the Dispatcher that the trailing units are dead again. The CRIX SD50 wont load over 500 amps and the Geep has died and wont start. The DS wants to know if they will make the hill..."maybe" is the only reply. The DS makes a smart move and tells 167 that they may have to shove the 177 over the hill...the rail is wet, the grade is steep and they only have one "Big engine" (the EMDX 76) to get the 5700 ton train over the hill.

We take our time getting to Kings Mountain. By now its snowing again and  as we gain elevation, the snow is getting deeper. By the time we reach the top it looks like anouther land.. 5 or 6 inches of snow on the ground! We meet back up with the gang (who have been sittiing there for a long while) and plan our shots.. Every few Minutes the DS is hollering at 177 to see if they are still moving, and each time they say yes..but just barely.  

After over 40 mins of waiting, the 177 can be seen starting around the curve in the big cut. Looking through my big lens, its hard to tell if they are even moving, but they are. A few more mintutes pass and we finally get the shot at they take #2 track and start picking up a little speed...

Im still amazed that a lone SD70M-2 (rated for 4500 tons on that hill) was able to lift that 5700 ton train and Two dead engines up that hill. We have seen trains with more horsepower stall..  The above picture does not do justice to just how hard the 76 was working!  

With the big show over, we all stick around to shoot a few more. A mini blizzard kicks up and soon all we can see is flying snow.

Like a bunch of kids, we find ourselves out in the weather.. I usually pick on Caleb with my people pics, but Gregg was a easy target for this..looks like a bad batch of hair tonic....

As we all sit in our trucks warming up, train 224 sneaks up on us. I just manage to jump out and snag a shot as he flys by... Snow even makes catifsh look better!

After 224 clears, its 167's turn to tackle the hill.  He has a new Gevo (with paint)  on the point..at least that shows up better than primer in the bad weather.  

by now, its getting late and dark. Gregg and myself decided to start back North, and luck into one last shot for the Day. NS 043, A FEMA "camper special" at Palm.

Thanks for looking, and reading the Novel!!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Norm

Enjoyed the report.  

That shot of your friend looks like Jack Nicholson sticking his head through the door in "The Shining"   :P
Norm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk