EMD 76 vs the clouds...

Started by E.M. Bell, January 01, 2006, 09:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Thanks to a timely heads up this morning (thanks shack!) Caleb and myself loaded up and did some inspired driving to get the wye at Danville. NS 287 had the EMD SD70M-2 demo unit #76 leading.  The sun was hit and miss while we drove, but (of course) by the time we got in range to shoot 287, it was all but gone, but with good power like this, I was gonna do what I had to. Jack up the ISO a bit, grab a fast lens and hope for the best..

NS 287 leaves the wye..pretty much the best shot of the day.

Just after they got moving, the trailing GE C39 died.  After telling the DS of the problem, they where instructed to pick up the local engine at Lawrenceburg. There was no way they would make Waddy hill with just one working engine. This move would work wll for us. We meet up with them again as they make the pickup.. Steve Blake and Bryan Jones join us for the fun, and the clouds keep getting thicker, but it clearing to the West..maybe there is still hope for a sunlit shot or two..

While 287 gets back on their train at Lawrenceburg, our little convoy heads West to Waddy. The clouds thin out, and by the time we get there, its bright and sunny.. The dispatcher decides to run a grain train to meet 287 at Lawrenceburg, but we still have a hour or so before sunset, so no worries. We shoot the 52R at Waddy and settle in for the wait.  

While we wait, a huge batch of clouds start to move in. 287 is just leaving Lawrenceburg and we still at least 30 mins before the get to us..we kill time by amusing ourselves. The Waddy dog guard arrives to check us out..to bad this was the LAST sunlit shot of the day..

Its simply amazing what a group of photographers will do to amuse themselves while waiting for a train. Steve points out a tree with a curious feature. after much debate, its decided that it looks like the head of a snapping turtle in profile, and of course we all line up to take a picture...bet that looked odd to passing cars..a bunch of guys taking a pic of a tree..

and this looked even more odd... amusing...but odd..

Anyway....by the time 287 reaches us the sun is gone..not coming back..finished..  We waited this long, we are gonna get the shot. The tripods come out, I push the ISO on the camera to 800, dial the F down as far as it will go and presto.... as Caleb said...its "moody" (I think he was just being nice) :)

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

cmherndon

Quoteas Caleb said...its "moody" (I think he was just being nice)

One of the few times...

"Moody" is just a euphemism for "The shot totally sucks and I can't believe you even posted it."  :lol:

Junior

I had a sunny afternoon and found the opportunity for a unique view of Waddy to share.   We pulled up the main behind 23G to meet train 112.  I was wanting to get on the ground for this shot but I was afraid I would be left behind.  So I cleaned the window and grabbed the camera.  

Thanks for looking
Junior

As always fear the turtle tree

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk