Railroads of Durham, NC

Started by NorfolkSouthern91, November 27, 2008, 11:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorfolkSouthern91

I've desided to model Durham, NC in 1972 and I need a map of the rail lines, where would I find one?

JCagle

I'm not sure where to find a map exacting the date you are looking for other than perhaps a local historical society. I do have a corridor map that you could do a little reverse engineering with and end up with something to start from. If you can get the names changed back and delete the additions you should end up with something close.

Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

NorfolkSouthern91

Quote from: jbcagle7073 on November 28, 2008, 11:49:26 AM
I'm not sure where to find a map exacting the date you are looking for other than perhaps a local historical society. I do have a corridor map that you could do a little reverse engineering with and end up with something to start from. If you can get the names changed back and delete the additions you should end up with something close.

can you send it to me?

JCagle

It is attached at the bottom of my  previous reply.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

stillbre

Looking at the map Jason attached, I can fill you in a little bit on what you're looking at.  The CSX line between Durham and Apex used to be the Durham & Southern line.  They had a good bit of industrial switching in Durham.  I can't remember when they were absorbed by SCL, sometime in the early 70s I believe.  SAL used to have a line that ran from Henderson to Durham.  This line was abandoned when they dammed up the river to form Falls(?) Lake north of town.  This line was the haunt of the branchline U18B and RSC2s before that.  On the NS side, you of course have the Greensboro-Raleigh H-Line.  NS and Southern used to base several locals out of East Durham yard.  There's a local that runs to Burlington and back plus another yard job.  There is also a short spur that runs down to Chapel Hill where NS delivers coal to the boiler at UNC.  The line up to Oxford is the old N&W line coming down out of Virginia.  NS still runs a job up to Oxford during the week.  The N&W used to serve several tobacco warehouses near down town.  They had quite a bit of switching to do in town.  I forget where the train came out of in VA but it took two crews to get to Durham and back.  I believe there was one or two other branches in the Durham area but I can't remember.  Your best bet would be to join Carolina Rails on Yahoo and ask there.  Warren Calloway or Bob Graham can most likely answer any questions you have there.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk