C&NW 1995 and UP 2002 Salt Lake

Started by Bill Richardson, October 13, 2015, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

My wife and I were between Somerset and Science Hill, KY driving along the tracks.  A train was on the tracks heading north.  My wife was driving and as we got alongside the engines I saw that the lead unit was something different.  Trees were along there, so I couldn't see the name very well.  We got ahead and pulled over, and I got out and waited briefly, then got some shots of the C&NW as it passed.  Then we moved out and passed the train again and got to another place to pull over, and I got out and ready, and grabbed a few more shots as the C&NW passed.  I was on the shady side both times, but got some decent photos.  We tried to get ahead again, so as to cross under an overpass and get on the sunny side, but found a car parked in the middle of the road, with the hood up, and a woman checking something.  She got back in and they started off.  By then we were nearly stopped, and the train had gone by.  It was too late to get on the other side, but I still got some decent photos of a very unusual engine--unusual to me.

Not long ago I went to Kings Mountain to see what showed up.  Right after I got there, a train came by heading south.  It had UP-2002, the Salt Lake tribute.  I didn't know about that one, and was really surprised to see it.  I was in the right place at the right time.  Got a few photos.  Not long after, I was in Danville, KY  and found that same engine parked there, at the north end of the same coal train, on its way back.

E.M. Bell

That UP 2002 spent well over a month trapped on the 890/891 Kingston coal trains.  It finally went back home to the UP a couple of weeks ago. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk