Vintage U boats at Oak Ridge

Started by etalcos, November 29, 2010, 08:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etalcos

Well with C-420 1315 out of service for a while receiving heavy cosmetic surgery, we have found a couple of locomotives to pinch hit.  We recently received a pair of U23Bs, former L&N 2800 and 2817, currently disguised as CSX 9554 and 9553 respectively.  9553 hit the road this past Friday on our Thanksgiving excursions and did a pretty good job for the weekend.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=346842&nseq=0

9554 has had a crankcase over pressure issue which we think we have resolved now.  We'll run it in freight service some to get the bugs (hopefully) the rest of the way out, and then it should join 9553 as excursion power.  Maybe by this spring we'll be able to field L&N 4 axle power from all three major builders.

And for the Southern/NS faithful, here's a link to some video from this past Saturday.  Former Southern 2561 moving freight and 9553 and former L&N 1030 on the passenger train.  Now, if I can just find that paint bucket.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjzKgpbJNIw

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

I realize I'm taking a chance of getting slapped away from the table, but I'll say it anyway, I think it would be fitting to see at least one "pumpkin " restored as such. (Besides the pickens railway) I think that's an interesting piece of their history as well. Not to say oak ridge is the place, just generally speaking, there were plenty to go around so I wouldn't think getting one preserved would be too awful hard. (Granted I may be the only one that would want one that way ) I've seen your all's handy work and it's fabulous.  Kudos on your gp30s by the way. Speaking of that, I watched your video link, are you guys part freight part museum or what exactly would they be considered? Loved the old high hood with that cut of cars at the beginning.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Matt L

Quote from: etalcos on November 29, 2010, 08:47:31 AM
Well with C-420 1315 out of service for a while receiving heavy cosmetic surgery, we have found a couple of locomotives to pinch hit.  We recently received a pair of U23Bs, former L&N 2800 and 2817, currently disguised as CSX 9554 and 9553 respectively.  9553 hit the road this past Friday on our Thanksgiving excursions and did a pretty good job for the weekend.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=346842&nseq=0

9554 has had a crankcase over pressure issue which we think we have resolved now.  We'll run it in freight service some to get the bugs (hopefully) the rest of the way out, and then it should join 9553 as excursion power.  Maybe by this spring we'll be able to field L&N 4 axle power from all three major builders.

And for the Southern/NS faithful, here's a link to some video from this past Saturday.  Former Southern 2561 moving freight and 9553 and former L&N 1030 on the passenger train.  Now, if I can just find that paint bucket.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjzKgpbJNIw

How is #2064 doing? She is a former Lehigh Valley C420 purchased by the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum a few years ago.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

etalcos

You may well be right on a preserved Pumpkin.  Not sure we'd ever do it, but certainly a unique concept.  Don't forget, there are some EMD Pumpkins still out and about too.  As far as slapped goes, usually that's what I get when I suggest a Seaboard System paint job.

2064 (or LV 408 for the Valley faithful) is stored serviceable, but needs at least one power assembly (possibly just a piston and rings) and is due to have its wheels replaced.  This was our project when 1315 derailed, and now other things have taken priority.

Matt L

Quote from: etalcos on November 30, 2010, 09:15:45 PM2064 (or LV 408 for the Valley faithful) is stored serviceable, but needs at least one power assembly (possibly just a piston and rings) and is due to have its wheels replaced.  This was our project when 1315 derailed, and now other things have taken priority.

Thanks for the update! I'm one of the Valley faithful over at railfan.net so I'll pass this information along to them. It's good to know #408 will eventually return to service.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Backyard

8) I say put the pumpkin's generator in the L&N U25B & restore it!
Backyard/Allen

etalcos

1616 is an interesting case.  From talking to "people that were there" she most likely was running/could have run when she was delivered to TVRM.  They never did and when agreement couldn't be reached for them to purchase the unit, it was sold to RMDI.  U25Bs, and C425, among others, have GE 598 main generators which were the biggest DC traction generator that GE built -- loosely comparable to the EMD D32.  Those 598 generators are in VERY high demand in the oil fields and on drilling rigs.  That's one of the primary reasons you see very few locomotives still on the road that had them.  That's also why RMDI bought 1616. 
We are very fortunate to have found a 598 that was affordable and have it hidden away in hopes of someday getting it into 1616.  There are most likely other problems that would have to be addressed -- carbody rot being a chronic GE problem, among others.

I also forgot to explain the freight/passenger operations/relationship.  SARM operates the passenger service only.  Heritage Railroad/Walden's Ridge RR provides the freight service.  There are agreements in place that lead to motive power being swapped somewhat freely between the two based on need.  The two C-420s and the two U23Bs are SARM projects, and the GP-30s are Walden's Ridge projects.

Matt L

Quote from: etalcos on December 03, 2010, 08:22:32 AM
Those 598 generators are in VERY high demand in the oil fields and on drilling rigs.  That's one of the primary reasons you see very few locomotives still on the road that had them.

Aaah... now I understand. You just explained alot to me with the generators. C425s are indeed scarce beasts these day. There are only 6 active/serviceable C425s in upstate NY and 4 more in Pennsylvania. I'm not sure how many still operate elsewhere. They are sturdy- the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville (locla shortline) has owned a C425 for nearly 30 years now and #425 still runs several days a week. I guess I should count myself lucky...   

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

The CSX painted dozens of engines blaze orange to be used on maintenance of way trains. They're affectionately known as pumpkins, the SARM has one or two now.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk