Follow the Flag, Wabash 1070 through Kentucky

Started by E.M. Bell, September 18, 2012, 07:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Slowly but surely, we are getting chances to shoot the NS Heritage power here in Kentucky.  As predicted, they are "straying" from the coal and grain service they are intended for, and seem to find their way through the Bluegrass State.  While I enjoyed the chance to shoot all of them "up close and personal" in Spencer NC in July, it is MUCH more satisfying to me to get them out working. As I have said, its a lot more sporting to go hunting and take your chances than to shoot a deer chained to a tree  ;D

This past Sunday 09/16/12, Wabash 1070 found itself leading train 111 towards Knoxville, after spending a couple of weeks with the NKP 765 up in St. Louis. With plenty of advanced notice about the move, we had plenty of time to make plans to get it (and so did just about every other Jreb member in the area!)   The train came into Louisville early that morning, and if NS had not been so crew short, would have surely ran before sunup. As luck would have it, they held the train in Louisville until mid-morning, allowing for a great day and numerous photo ops across 3 districts.

Here are a few of my shots from the day. Be sure to check out the full sized versions at this link (plus a few more not seen here) >>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/ocs12

After 2 hours of waiting, 111 finally rolls across the Pope Lick bridge near Fisherville KY.

Mp 300W at Veechdale KY.

After finally getting around 275 and 285 at the mixing center, 111 rolls across the bridge at Elmo Head park in Shelbyville KY

Wabash 1070 leads train 111 down the main at Waddy KY, after meeting 289.

My favorite shot of the day, at Vanarsdale KY.

The population of Vanarsdale Tripled (for about 10 minutes) as a whole crowd of Jreb members somehow managed to keep up with, and follow me to my "secret" spot. My old buddy Mr. Agee who owns the farm here seemed to be rather impressed with my "entourage"

111 heads South out of Danville Ky after a quick stop for fuel. It is seen here passing the unique Triple Headed GRS searchlight signals at CP South Danville.

Our last shot of the day, as 111 heads out onto single track at Bowen KY, after 23G finally got around them

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

chipallen16

Wonderful shots, EM! You (and your fellow railfans) did a great job on this chase. If I'm not mistaken, you've got an NS 1066 headed your way, too!

-Chip  :)

Ptrainman

Great shots EM. I have been waiting for this one myself.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk