Main rail higher than side rails....

Started by nathan, April 03, 2006, 11:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathan

Sometimes things just seem to jump out at me when I should have noticed them earlier. The latest is that I noticed the main rail, in general, is higher in elevation (slightly, at least a few inches) than the side rails or sidings. I would assume the reason for that is visibility. The engineer can see what is around him/her easier. Do any of you know if that is why it is higher? Or are there other reasons also? thx

Knothead

One word, Drainage!  Standing water is a bad thing for the sub-roadbed, and  the more ballast you have and the higher up things are, the better it will drain.  This increases tie life and has some effect on the crosslevel as well.

Most mainlines will recieve much more attention than sidetrack. Over the years the trackage may become a lot higher than the surrounding areas due to new ballast and tamping.

nathan

Quote from: "Knothead"One word, Drainage!  Standing water is a bad thing for the sub-roadbed, and  the more ballast you have and the higher up things are, the better it will drain.  This increases tie life and has some effect on the crosslevel as well.

Most mainlines will recieve much more attention than sidetrack. Over the years the trackage may become a lot higher than the surrounding areas due to new ballast and tamping.

Thank you, Knothead...are you right? It makes sense. My thoughts about seeing what is around you makes sense, also.
Please, any others can contribute, us others may learn.
I know there is a reason. Is Knothead right?
Maybe Knothead is right but the answer is more complicated. It may concern both drainage and visibility. You veterans know the answer....

jcmark4501

It simply is due to the fact that sidings are not as well maintained or built as mainlines. Sidings are rarely used (compared to mains) so railroads don't build them up as much and keep them in that good a shape.

nathan

Quote from: "jcmark4501"It simply is due to the fact that sidings are not as well maintained or built as mainlines. Sidings are rarely used (compared to mains) so railroads don't build them up as much and keep them in that good a shape.

I think both jcmark4501 and Knothead are probably right. Thank you both for responding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk