Railfanning Spots

Started by NORFOLKSOUTHERNFAN, December 12, 2005, 06:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORFOLKSOUTHERNFAN

I will be traveling to Frankfort, KY in a couple of weeks and I was wanting to know if there is any good train watching spots. I plan on going on in to Cincinatti and go to Winton Place. Anybody got any info on that and is it safe. Thanks Also train symbols in those areas would be nice.

E.M. Bell

It depends on what day you will be around..NS will be shut down on Christmas day except for 61A and 60A (steel trains)..those are normally the only thing that will move over the holiday shutdown, and usually after dark.

You are close to the Louisville district in Frankfort, and there are many good locations to shoot. Two of the closest from Frankfort are Waddy (just head West on interstate 64 about 10 miles) and the Lawrenceburg area (head South on US 127 about 10 miles). There are tons of good photo ops around the Waddy area, and you can count on a few meets there in the afternoon. The Lawrenceburg area is a little less photogentic, but you will find a couple of good spots.  Traffic varies on the LS, but "most" days will see 10 or more moves in daylight, with the mid to late afternoons being the buisiest. Traffic tends to get mixed up over the holiday, so that may vary a great deal on the 26th and 27th.  

The LS is TWC, and you can get a decent idea of whats moving by listening to the radio. Road Channel is 160.950 and Channel 2 is 160.830 and 160.245.

You can go East on 64 up towards Lexington and Georgetown and catch the CNO&TP...or to Danville, which is one of the buisier spots around here.  Radio freqs are the same.

R.J. Corman operates the old CSX OD sub through Frankfort, but there is no reall set schedule for them, and traffic tends to be light..very light. Downtown Frankfort does offer some excellant street running if you get lucky and catch something moving.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk