NS Employment - Conductors

Started by neebees, November 05, 2006, 02:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neebees

Hi all,

There have been some ads on the radio recently for NS conductor hirings in the north/central Indiana area.

I have an interest, but from what I've read so far in other discussions, writers often discourage newbees from getting themselves into this.

Plus, I've heard some say that NS specifically is great while others say NS is a bad choice to work for.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Starting out with no experience in the area, if I were to be trained and hired, how many years might it be before I would be able to take a known couple of days off?  Regarding the extra board, can new hires "swap" with other people to arrange for this sort of thing?  Or are they literally tied down for several years at least to being a phone call away from having to go in to work?

Also, I'm 36 now, and maybe this is a horrible time in life to make a transition to this type of job?

My apologies in advance for what is probably a stale and overdiscussed issue, I just thought you guys might be the best to ask on this.

Thanks,

Ed

Tweetsiefireman

Good luck man........Ive been trying for a long time and knew several people who have (Hello Caleb?) unsuccessfully. Its all about luck and status. Knowing someone might help but I doubt it. I have given up on ever trying to start a career in the Class One sector of railroading. Go work for a shortline, they are less ruthless and easier to get on with, trust me!

Michael Knight

The life of a railroad employee is truely unique- like nothing else that I know of.
For those interested in a job, ultimately only you can answer the question, if it's for you or not.
For those who have tried without success; it never hurts to try again! ;)

Tweetsiefireman

Its an experience no doubt about it. I have worked for two shortlines but NS will never give me the time of day. After 40+ applications I have given up on the Throughbred.

E.M. Bell

A mainline RR job is not for the faint of heart to say the least. The first few year can be rough. We have several active rails on here that may be able to offer some insight, and I would recommend that  you also try this link  http://www.yardlimits.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=29

Thats a forum run by our good friend Zeb, and is mostly used by active rails. He has a topic on there concerning what you are asking..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Railroad80

Being a railroader is a love or hate it job, and mostly both. I began in 1980 after deregulation, there was several years of very little work. I worked for them 5 years before making over 25,000. a year.  If you get hired expect the following.
A. Forget any weekends off for several years.
B. expect to work in the weather extremes.
C. Expect to be away from family, missing all kids birthdays, ball games, and other important events. Cause the RR will call you before you can make to them.
D. Expect to work all holiday's  including Christmas.
If you can accept all of those you will love your job  and make alot of money.
The RR isnt for everyone, but the ones that stay love the freedom of the job aka no boss hanging over you all the time.  The money is good but to make the money you have to live on the job. I have stood to work many 5 day a week jobs with weekends off, but the money isnt as good as it is on a mainline  job.  The benefits are good.
As for NS. They expect you to know the job and not get caught breaking the rules. They will spend alot of money to train you to be safe.  Its simple  the crap rolls downhill, and your the last one on the chain so you catch it all. 
Oh i almost forgot its a dangerous job too.  Its rewarding and fulfilling to me, until my injury.  Good Luck
Randy

Michael Knight

Quote from: E.M. Bell on November 05, 2006, 07:11:05 PM
A mainline RR job is not for the faint of heart to say the least.

This is very true.

Junior

I love being on call!  If they need me they call and wake me up and if not they leave me alone.  But for the past year and half I have been the conductor on the local at Lawrenceburg, ky.  It is a rough job but it has it's perks.  I go to work at 1030am and off on the weekends.

But remeber  " Railroaders dont get paid for what they do they get paid for the inconvience of  life " .

The worst part about railroading is all the silly bullshit that goes on.  The old heads hate thier jobs but they never quit.  Newbies hate thier jobs but they dont quit.  Railroading is what you make of it.  I like my job it is easy but extremely difficult all the same.  It is not a job for the nervous type. 

Do what your guts tell you to do (guts=old lady)

Later
Junior

Railroad80

You know how to tell when a Railroader is happy??

If he is bitching, he is as happy as he can be!!!
If he isn't watch out!  someone is about to be rolled...lol

Randy

Michael Knight

Is can be a very dangerous job. Maybe those considering railroad employment would appreciate this story, which I wrote as a reply to another post. As scary as it sounds, these situations occur even today.

http://jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=1681.msg4678#msg4678

E.M. Bell

While I have never worked for a class one RR, I have known a bunch of folks who have/do. Starting at the bottom can be rough, with no guaranteed extra boards, a long probationary period, long hours, no life, always waiting for the phone to ring. ect. I have known those who have stuck with it and now have good jobs with good money, I also know some that gave it up for a more mundane life, but mundane isn't such a bad thing at times..

If your intent on a RR career, but are not sure about a Class one, I would suggest investigating a short line or regional company. Downside to that, they don't usually pay as well. Upside (at least to me)..More stable hours, (usually) a strong safety record, more job security, A better chance for advancement, and you dont have to mess with the unions. 

I spent over 12 years as a Engineer/Conductor for Two shortlines in KY and TN, plus a few smaller tourist operations. I always had steady work, a steady pay check, knew when I was going to work and when I would be off. I have been out of the business now for almost 4 years, and I miss it each and every day. Its one of those things that gets in your blood. I love the job I have now, but the worst day I ever had on the RR is still better than the best day in my new career..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk