Talking EOT Device?

Started by Crazytrain, November 07, 2005, 04:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazytrain

I've been listening to the online scanner of the NS Harrisburg Line and keep hearing a very mono-tone voice say something like "NS5718A; brake recovery complete; consist ready" or "NS5718A; recover train brake from belt pack A nd B". Is this the EOT device transmitting to the head end? It must be a headache at times because sometimes it just won't shut up!

E.M. Bell

What you are hearing is the CANTRAC remote control equipment on one or more locomotives. The newer versions of the remote equipment tallks on the radio telling the operator the status of the engine, brakes ect.   I listen to the Enola feed from time to time, and you are right..it does get to be a bit much.

About the only time you do hear those things talk is when the operator has made some manner of mistake, and the unit is recovering from emergency or a penalty brake application.  MUst be nice, having that thing telling the whole world every time you screw up  :)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Crazytrain

So it's a talking RC locomotive. Thank you.

Makes sense, because it sometimes talks about a belt pack. It's really interesting to listen to a yard channel. Sometimes even comical. I usually listen to it when I'm running TD3. Makes for a very realistic experience!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk