K&IT classic

Started by Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR, March 01, 2012, 04:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

Here is a link to that shot Lwjabo, this is about the best I can do from my phone. It's taken in our oak st yard (PAL) , I have an even better one if I can ever get it scanned I'll post it too. http://jreb.org/Image/KIT60_LouKY_OakStYd_K.jpg
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Ponce de Leon

I regret not photographing more of those lovely K&IT engines. Here's a grab shot (albeit black and white) at Youngtown Yard in 1965:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=119317&nseq=1
Ron Flanary

lwjabo

A Fairbanks Morris. I kind of figured it was. They were all gone around Atlanta before I hired in 1971. The last one the story goes vibrated extremely hard when sitting still. Anyway every night this crew took there engine to Inman from East Point. This night with no cars. They were always blocked at Spring often for hours. So they picked out a place they always ate at. That night no difference. They tie up the brake on the engine and leave it on the main line and go eat. When they got back it was gone. It vibrated so hard it knocked off the handbrake and engine brake and rolled away. It was lined into Terminal station and was a empty track where it derailed. The crew could not talk there way out of it and were at least for the Engineer got 6 months. I worked with the engineer on one of his first trips back at Forrestville about Christmas of 1971. He was very nervous and we got on the ground several times on the old city yard at Rome. It was a short night and I noted the engineer was sweating hard and collapsed when he got in his car. I was going over to ask if he was OK when another member of the crew said don't. The tracks in city yard were very bad and nothing ever came of the derailments. We simply moved boards around and rerailed our self. That is the way it was done at the time.

My latest Jewel, a quartet of Fairbanks switchers in the more colorful of the two schemes they wore.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

Just my opinion but that paint scheme would be a great one on a modern engine.

Ponce de Leon

That's one of the K&IT's Baldwins.
Ron Flanary

Yes it is, quite possibly the best looking paint scheme ever put on a switcher in my opinion.

Here's a string of real beauties, who couldn't love a Fairbanks?

Ponce de Leon

Ron Flanary

E.M. Bell

The old cars and Morton salt billboard MAKE that last shot...Love it!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Here's another one, a Fairbanks and the 4501

Trainman24210

With the success of the Heritage units one would think NS would be eager to add some.  We need K&IT, A&EC a real S&A and Georgia & Florida. Uurrah!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk