Goldenrods and Heritage Frustration on the CNO&TP

Started by E.M. Bell, September 23, 2014, 08:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Saturday 09/20/14 would have been a great day for heritage power  on the 2nd District of the CNO&TP here in Kentucky, but it was (almost) not to be.. With advanced notice that Virginian 1069 was leading train 224 North, and that the Southern 8099 would be leading 168, it was shaping up to be a action packed day for us, and Carmon and myself (Joined by Tyler, Gage and John Owens) all headed South.  

The 224 is always a reliable catch in the early afternoon South of Burnside, and it brought up the end of a Northbound parade. After making the 2 hour drive down to Parkers Lake, Ky (one of the FEW spots you can shoot a Northbound with good light) we only had to wait about an hour to get our first shot of the 1069. Soon after as we raced the train North, the South end Dispatcher told them something we did not want to hear...there were no rested Louisville crews in Burnside, and 224 was instructed to tie down. While it is unusual for a hot train to get held like that, if there are no crews, there are no trains.  224 rusted to the rail in Burnside for almost Five hours..

We spent the afternoon hanging out, shooting the breeze and a few Southbounds around Burnside... Around 1700 I was ready to give up and head for home when we learned the train was called out at 1745.  When the crew finally got headed North, the shadows were getting long and we had very little usable light left... While Tyler and John went for the shot of the train on the Cumberland River bridge (which I had already done with the 1069 a couple of time) I decided to live dangerously and go up to my favorite place on Norwood Hill.... As late as it was, the sun was dropping FAST as we watched the shadows start to creep in even faster. The train was fighting the hill, moving at an agonizing pace toward us, and with seconds of light left, we got what we wanted.

The Southern 8099 was close to Burnside by this point, but not close enough to do us any good. Later in the evening 224 and 168 would follow each other less than 25 minutes apart across the Louisville District....well after dark.  Such is life....

Here are a few from the day, and you can check them all out in original size at this link >>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/ns_cs_2014_eb

Northbound Norfolk to Louisville stack train 22A at Parkers Lake, KY

Virginian 1069 has a good roll on Northbound 224 as the train passes a hillside ablaze with Goldenrod at Parkers Lake, Ky

Southbound 197 creeps around the corner at Burnside, ready for a crew change

124 gets back on the move at Burnside after a quick crew change. The train is passing under the new signals at French Ave (CP Burnside Southbound)

"Shadow Racing" After a long delay in Burnside due to a shortage of rested Louisville crews, NS 224 grinds up Norwood Hill on the CNO&TP. As we stood there at Fairy Curve and waited, we could hear the train in the distance as we watched the perfect light turn to shadow at a quick rate. By the time 224 got to the top, only a few slivers of sun remained.....before the power was out of sight, the light was gone as the gathering darkness chased the train North.

Here is a more "Classic" angle from late Saturday of 224 with Virginian 1069 leading at Norwood KY.. I like the one above better, but you just cant go wrong with that sweet low light.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

leroy

Nice shots... I love the Virginian unit; my mom's younger brother started on the Virginian at Chesapeake, VA in the mid-fifties... He later went to the NW and retired back home to Tennessee in 1985 or so...

Thanks for takin the time to shoot and post these great pictures... I really like the last "full faced" one... Ya can really see the light fadin away behind the engine...

Thanks again..
leoy
leroy

Gage O'Dell

For the sake of not starting a new thread, here is my one and only shot of 1069... I had to be at work at 5pm that day so the crew shortage really screwed me up.. In any case, here is 224 at Parkers Lake

thpbears

I would just like to see some NS trains running. All my coal traffic is drying up. At least you all are sharing your nice pics.thanks

leroy

leroy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk