time capsule (sorta)

Started by The_Fool_on_the_Hill, October 18, 2005, 11:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Fool_on_the_Hill

Up at NKU (Northern Kentucky University), in the photo department, we have a a whole hallway of lockers set aside for photo students only. One of these lockers had a padlock on it that had been there for as long as anyone could remember, so they cut it off one day a few weeks back. Inside they found about a dozen rolls of Kodak safety film marked 1985 as the expiration date. There were also chemicals, of course and a binder full of negitives. Searching through the negitives I came upon a whole sheet of Milepost 8 on the CNO&TP near Crescent Springs, KY. I quickly claimed the negitives and have them stashed away in my locker. The person who shot the film was not a railfan but a budding artist, I can tell by the other shots on the roll and the composition of the train shots, so they're not the best pictures of vintage Southern equipment, but they are pictures. A train went by this guy 20 years ago and he took pictures specifically of the mid train helper, a couple Geeps and that boxcar-looking piece of equipment that always accompanied the midtrain helpers, and the end of the train which included a bay window caboose and two switchers, "buttheads" as the railroaders call them nowadays, pushing on the rear. All of it in Southern livery, of course. The only problem is it's all in black and white. I would love to see it in color. I've scanned the negs of the train and have them on my hard drive, I might try "hand coloring" them in Photoshop, but if I ever get a website to host them on I'll post them here on the forum.

Anyway, I just thought that was an interesting coincidental story I thought I'd share.

E.M. Bell

Thats sounds kinda interesting. I might be able to help out with a place to host those for folks can see. drop me a PM and we will confer about that.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk